BELMONT, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in straight sets to the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College in the Trojans Conference Carolinas opener in Belmont, N.C. Ania Keene led the Trojans attack with seven kills while Cyerra Carter was just behind with six.
Score: Belmont Abbey 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-18)
Records: Mount Olive 2-9, 0-1; Belmont Abbey 6-7, 1-1
Location: Belmont, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive started the match on a role with a 4-1 run that included three kills, two by MaKayla Huber and one by Michaela Seawell, as well as an error by Belmont Abbey.
- The Crusaders came back to take a 5-4 lead but the Trojans tied it at five-all on a kill by Cyerra Carter.
- Following the Carter kill, the teams traded a few points before Belmont Abbey went on a 5-0 run to take a 12-7 lead.
- UMO answered with a 5-1 rally of their own, putting the score at 13-12, that included two kills by Ania Keene and three Crusader errors.
- BAC again went ahead by four to lead 17-13 before three Crusader errors put the Trojans back within a point 17-16.
- Mount Olive scored three more points in the set, two kills and a Crusader error, but BAC held off the Trojans to win the first set 25-19.
- The second set began with the Crusaders taking the early 7-3 lead.
- UMO came back to trail by three points, 11-8, on a rally that included three kills, two by Keene and one by Carter, and two BAC errors.
- Belmont Abbey maintained their four-point lead, 19-15, even following three straight Mount Olive points. A Carter kill, Kaitlin Grote ace and BAC error pulled UMO within four points.
- The Trojans could not find another point in the remainder of the second set as the Crusaders went on a 6-0 run to win 25-15.
- BAC scored five quick points to open the third set.
- Mount Olive countered with a 5-2 run to trail 7-5 following a kill from Kamber Skeen.
- The Crusaders took a six-point lead, 11-5, before back-to-back errors put the Trojans four points down, 11-7.
- UMO called a timeout to regroup as the Crusaders sat ahead 17-8.
- The Trojans tallied ten more points in the contest but were too little too late as Belmont Abbey won the third set 25-18.
- Ania Keene led the Trojans attack with seven kills while Cyerra Carter was just behind with six.
- Kamber Skeen led with 17 assists and was second in digs with eight behind Andrea Rivera-Reyes who had 11 in the match.
UMO travels to Wilson, N.C., to face Conference Carolinas foe Barton College. The Trojans take on the Bulldogs on Tuesday, September 25, at 7 p.m. in the Wilson Gymnasium.