Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell to rival Barton College 3-1 on Tuesday night in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Barton 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-22, 25-21, 23-25, 25-23)
Records: Mount Olive 6-8, 3-2; Barton 9-6, 5-0
Location: Kornegay Arena
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened the match scoring the first few points to open a 3-1 lead over Barton.
- The Bulldogs closed the Trojans' gap as the two teams battled for control of the scoreboard.
- Barton went up 11-8 after three ties in the score, before Mount Olive came back tying the match 11 all.
- The squads tied the score at 15 all before the Bulldogs pulled away opening at 20-16 lead.
- UMO cut the lead to one, 22-21, before BC closed out the set on a 3-1 run and won the first set 25-22.
- Barton rode the momentum from the first set into the second as they opened up a five-point lead going up 8-3 early in set two.
- The Trojans cut the Bulldog lead to three, 13-10 before BC scored four straight points going up 17-10.
- UMO answered with five points of their own cutting the lead to two, 17-15, with four kills and a Barton.
- Mount Olive went on a 6-5 run cutting the Barton lead to one, 22-21 before the Bulldogs closed out the set on a 3-1 run to win 25-21.
- The third set opened up with the two teams going back and forth as the score tied seven times before the Trojans opened up a three-point lead up 10-7.
- Barton cut the UMO lead to one, 12-11, before the Trojans went on a 4-1 run to go up 16-12.
- BC came back to tie the score at 19 all and took the lead going up 23-20 over UMO.
- The Trojans answered by closing out the third set with five straight points to win 25-23.
- Barton opened the fourth set going up 10-3 over Mount Olive.
- The Trojans responded with a 7-1 run to close the point gap to one.
- UMO took a three-point lead, 16-13, after three straight kills by Britni Johnson.
- The Trojan lead grew to four, 20-16 as Barton called a timeout to regroup.
- The Bulldogs answered with a 9-3 run closing out the set with a score of 25-23 and winning the game 3-1.
- The Trojans had 49 kills, 46 assists, and 72 digs on the night.
- Kamber Skeen led the team in assists with 44.
- Britni Johnson led with 22 kills and four blocks and was second with 20 digs.
The Trojans are home again as they host UNC Pembroke in a non-conference match-up on Friday, Sept. 29, at Kornegay Arena. First serve is at 6 p.m. If you are not able to make it out to the game you can watch the match on the Trojans Sports Network or follow the live stats at umotrojans.com.