Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated Southern Wesleyan in five thrilling sets in a Friday night Conference Carolinas battle at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Southern Wesleyan 2 (25-20, 17-25, 12-25, 25-22, 15-11)
Records: Mount Olive 6-6, 3-0; Southern Wesleyan 7-6, 2-1
Location: Kornegay Arena
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans opened up the first set getting out to an eight-point lead 14-6 over the Warriors at the first timeout.
- Southern Wesleyan regrouped after the timeout to go on an 8-4 run pulling within four points of the Trojans 18-14.
- UMO led by three points, up 23-20, and closed out the set off a kill by Cyerra Carter and a service ace by Kaitlin Grote for the 25-20 set win.
- The momentum in the second set shifted in Southern Wesleyan's favor as the Warriors got up by seven points over the Trojans, 11-4.
- Two kills and two Warrior errors cut the Warrior lead to three, 11-8, before the visitors slowly crept away from Mount Olive.
- Errors plagued the Trojans in the second set as they tallied six in the second half of the set.
- The Warriors capitalized claiming the second set 25-17 and tying the match at one set apiece.
- Following the intermission, Southern Wesleyan came out on fire as they quickly opened a seven-point lead over the Trojans, 10-3.
- Back-to-back kills by Kamber Skeen and Grote cut the lead to five before SWU pulled away again.
- The Warriors increased their lead to 11 points, 19-8, following more errors by the Trojans.
- Mount Olive scored four more points in the set but the deficit was too much to overcome as the Warriors took set three 25-12 and the 2-1 set advantage in the match.
- The fourth set looked to be in the Warriors favor again as they climbed to a 7-3 lead, but the Trojans chipped away one point at a time to tie the match at nine all.
- SWU scored seven points to UMO's three to lead 16-12.
- The Trojans began to feel the crowds support as they scored three straight kills by Skeen, Britni Johnson, and Alyssa Gurnell, to pull within one of the Warriors, 16-15.
- The Trojans trailed by four, down 20-16 before a kill by Grote and two Warrior errors closed the gap to one, forcing Southern Wesleyan to call timeout.
- Coming out of the timeout the Warriors scored first, but the Trojans tied the score at 21 all following two SWU errors.
- Mount Olive closed out the set riding the wave of encouragement from the crowd on a 4-1 run winning the set 25-22 and tying the match at two sets each.
- The fifth set opened up with the two teams battling for control.
- UMO opened a small three-point lead, 8-5, that they were able to keep heading into the mandatory pause to switch sides.
- Following the switch the Trojans grew their lead to five, 11-6, forcing yet again another SWU timeout.
- The Warriors tried to come back getting as close as three points, 14-11, but a massive kill by Cyerra Carter at the end sealed the deal earning the Trojans a 15-11 set five win and the match win three sets to two.
- The Trojans had four players reach double-digit kills in Cyerra Carter (12), Britni Johnson (17), Kaitlin Grote (11), and Alyssa Gurnell (10).
- Kamber Skeen held the game-high 46 assists as she led the Trojans.
- Johnson led UMO with 29 digs while Casey Fiechter was second with 25 and Skeen collected 17 on the night.
Mount Olive plays again tomorrow as they host the Crusaders of North Greenville in Kornegay Arena at 2 p.m. For those who cannot come out to support the Trojans in person, you can watch the match on the Trojans Sports Network or follow the live stats at umotrojans.com.