TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Crusaders of North Greenville University 65-49 in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday afternoon in Tigerville, S.C. Felecity Havens led Mount Olive 26 points while Jada Bacchus added 17 of her own as the two combined for 43 points.
Score: Mount Olive 65, North Greenville 49
Records: Mount Olive (8-3, 4-1), North Greenville (4-10, 3-4)
Location: Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Redshirt senior Felecity Havens got UMO on the scoreboard first as she drained a three-pointer at the 7:47 mark off a pass from Kelly post.
- UMO scored nine more points to take a 12-0 lead before the Crusaders even found the basket off a jump shot with 3:47 left in the opening quarter.
- Another Havens three-pointer and a jumper by Jada Bacchus gave Mount Olive a comfortable 17-2 lead heading into the second quarter.
- A pair of free throws by Zarya Poulava gave UMO a 17-point lead with 9:40 remaining in the half.
- NGU found some life as they went on a 12-0 run over four minutes to pull within five points of the Trojans.
- Mount Olive reclaimed an eight-point lead, 24-16, following a pair of free throws by Post, before NGU closed back in on a quick 5-0 run that put the score at 24-21 with 1:39 to go before halftime.
- The Trojans held off the rallying Crusaders in the final seconds as UMO entered halftime with a six-point, 27-21 lead.
- NGU scored first to cut the lead to four points 27-23 following a jumper 34 seconds into the second half.
- Mount Olive responded with a 10-0 run taking a 37-23 lead as the clock ticked down to four minutes left in the third.
- A Crusader three-pointer pulled the gap within single digits, but the Trojans closed out the third quarter scoring six points to enter the final ten minutes with a 12-point, 43-31 lead.
- UMO converted two 'and-one' plays to go up 18-points, 49-31, as Makayla Nichols and Jada Bacchus were both fouled while taking their shots.
- North Greenville went on an 8-2 run that forced a UMO timeout at the five-minute mark with the score sitting at 51-39.
- The Trojans came out of the timeout on a 9-4 run to take a 60-43 lead with 2:28 left in the contest.
- NGU hit two three-pointers that sandwiched a trey from Havens that saw the score settle at 63-49 with 1:45 left.
- Azariah Fields got the last basket of the game to put UMO up 65-49 for a 16-point victory over the Crusaders on the road.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 26 points moving her career total to 1,633 points.
- Jada Bacchus was the only other Trojan to join Havens in double-digits as she scored 17.
- Bacchus nearly matched her point total in rebounds after bringing down 14 rebounds in the contest.
Mount Olive is back on the court Tuesday, January 8, to host Converse College in a midweek Conference Carolinas contest. The Trojans and Valkyries tip-off in Kornegay Arena at 5:30 PM.