Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell to the Lions of Emmanuel College in three sets on Thursday evening in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Emmanuel 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-14)
Records: Mount Olive (5-17, 0-8); Emmanuel (15-8, 9-1)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel scored the opening two points before Mount Olive went on a 9-4 run, that included four kills and five Lion errors, to lead 9-6 early in the set.
- The Lions came back on a four-oh run to take a 10-9 lead before a kill by Ania Keene tied the score up at 10 all.
- Both teams traded points as the score knotted up four times with the last tie coming off a Makayla Huber killed to tie the score at 15 all.
- Emmanuel tallied four consecutive points, including three off UMO errors, to take a 19-15 lead, forcing the Trojans to call a timeout.
- UMO scored a few more points but Emmanuel closed out the set on a 6-3 run winning 25-18 in the opening set.
- Mount Olive opened the second set taking a 6-3 lead through the opening services. A Sydney Kuhbander kill and five Lions errors contributed to the Trojans lead.
- Emmanuel came back to tie the set at eight all before two Kuhbander kills and a Kaitlin Grote service ace gave UMO a three-point cushion leading 11-8.
- The Lions scored four straight to take a one-point lead, but the Trojans collected themselves following a timeout to go on a 6-1 run reclaiming the lead 17-13.
- Back-to-back Emmanuel kills and a bad Trojan set put the Lions within a point, 17-16, as Mount Olive called their second timeout.
- UMO went up by four points, 20-16, following a Michaela Seawell kill and two Lion errors, but Emmanuel closed out the set on a tear scoring nine points to Mount Olive's three to win the second set 25-23.
- Emmanuel kept the points rolling into the third set quickly taking a 7-2 lead over Mount Olive.
- The Trojans pulled within four points, 9-5, as Brittany Barnett, Cyerra Carter and Ania Keene all recorded kills in the process.
- The Lions took the next six points to take a 16-5 lead over Mount Olive.
- UMO countered with an 8-4 run climbing within seven points of the Lions, 20-13.
- Following their own timeout, the Lions closed out the set on a 5-1 run, to defeat the Trojans 25-14 in the third set and 3-0 in the match.
- Sydney Kuhbander led the Trojan attack with eight kills on the evening.
- Ania Keene was just behind with seven kills.
Mount Olive hosts the Flying Fleet of Erskine College on Friday afternoon. The Trojans and Flying Fleet meet for a 3 p.m. first serve at Kornegay Arena. Fans can watch the match here or follow the live stats here. Also make sure to keep up with all things Trojan Athletics by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.