Murfreesboro, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team won in four sets on Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Chowan University in Murfreesboro, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Chowan 1 (25-16, 25-21, 22-25, 25-23)
Records: Mount Olive (5-16); Chowan (8-13)
Location: Murfreesboro, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set began with the Trojans scoring five of the first six points on three Hawk errors, an Andrea Rivera-Reyes kill and a solo block from Brittany Barnett.
- Mount Olive opened up a six-point lead over Chowan, 11-5, forcing the home team to call a timeout. Four Trojan kills and two Hawk errors contributed to the lead.
- UMO went on a 6-2 run that put the Trojans up 10 points, 17-7, following three kills and three CU errors.
- Chowan led in the 9-8 rally that closed out the set, but Mount Olive's eight points on four kills and four Hawks errors gave them the 25-16 win.
- The second set began more evenly matched as the Trojans held a slim 5-3 lead following a CU service error.
- Mount Olive's lead grew to six points, 11-5, following four kills and two CU errors.
- Following a called timeout, Chowan went on an 8-5 run pulling within three points of Mount Olive who led 16-13.
- UMO held off the rallying Hawks who led a 10-9 run to win the second set 25-21. Eight of the nine UMO points came from Chowan errors with the ninth coming on a kill by Sydney Kuhbander.
- Mount Olive took a 6-3 lead over Chowan on five kills and a Hawk error. Cyerra Carter and Andrea Rivera-Reyes each had two while Ania Keene had one in the opening serves.
- The Trojans held on to their three-point lead until the Hawks put together a 6-3 run pulling within a point as UMO led 14-13 midway through the set.
- Momentum shifted in Chowan's favor as they went on a 7-6 run that tied the set up at 20 points each following the UMO timeout.
- The Hawks edged out the Trojans on a 5-2 run to win the third set 25-22 and force a fourth set.
- Chowan carried the momentum from the third set into the start of the fourth set as they quickly went up seven points over Mount Olive leading 13-6.
- A kill by Sydney Kuhbander put the score at 18-12 and started a 10-4 rally by the Trojans that saw the score knot up at 22 all. UMO put down eight kills, an ace by Nicholle Yeo, a double-block by Kuhbander and Kamber Skeen and one CU error.
- Ania Keene gave the Trojans a 23-22 lead on a kill that forced the Hawks to call a timeout.
- Following the timeout, CU scored one point to tie the set at 23 all before UMO put together consecutive points on a kill by Keene and a Hawk error to pull off a 25-23 fourth set win and a 3-1 match win.
- Ania Keene led the Trojans with 13 kills on 43 attacks while also recording 20 digs.
- Cyerra Carter was close behind with 11 kills on 24 attacks.
- Kamber Skeen tallied 29 assists and 17 digs.
- Kaitlin Grote and Jimnelly Del Valle joined the double-digit dig mark with 20 and 18 digs respectively.
Mount Olive comes home for the first time since September 28 when they hosted King at Kornegay Arena. The Trojans take on the Emmanuel Lions on Thursday evening at 7 p.m. Fans can watch the match here or follow the live stats here. Also make sure to keep up with all things Trojan Athletics by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.