Banner Elk, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in four sets to the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College on Friday night in Conference Carolinas action in Banner Elk, N.C. Ania Keene led the team with 14 kills on the night while Sydney Kuhbander was close behind with 12 of her own.
Score: Lees-McRae 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-21, 25-19, 21-25, 25-19)
Records: Mount Olive (4-15, 0-6); Lees-McRae (6-16, 2-5)
Location: Banner Elk, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae took the early 4-1 lead over Mount Olive but the Trojans rallied on four straight kills to take a 5-4 lead.
- Three Bobcat errors, a Michaela Seawell ace and an Ania Keene kill gave the Trojans a 10-7 lead following a 5-3 run.
- LMC rallied back after their timeout to go on a 10-3 run taking a 17-13 lead over UMO.
- Mount Olive stayed within a three-point window but ran out of time as Lees-McRae took set one 25-21.
- Set two began much like the first with LMC getting out to a quick 5-0 lead.
- UMO answered with a 7-2 run that included four kills, three by Keene and one by Sydney Kuhbander, and three Bobcat errors, to tie the set at seven all.
- The teams traded points with LMC taking a two-point lead only to have UMO reclaim a one-point lead putting the score at 11-10.
- The Bobcats called timeout after they saw the Trojans diminish their 17-13 lead following three straight UMO points put them behind just one point, 17-16.
- Mount Olive scored three more points in the set but Lees-McRae recollected themselves during the timeout to rally and win 25-19 following an 8-3 run.
- The teams sat neck and neck with UMO holding a slim 4-3 lead through the opening serves of the third set.
- LMC took a two-point 6-4 lead before UMO answered with a 5-2 run taking a one-point, 9-8 lead.
- Following the score knotting up at nine all, Mount Olive went on another 5-2 rally taking a 14-11 lead as the teams approached the middle of the set.
- UMO's lead grew to five points, 19-14, following three Bobcat errros and two Trojan kills.
- Lees-McRae pulled back within three points following a timeout as the Bobcats trailed 23-20 late in the set.
- Mount Olive managed to hold off the rallying Lees-McRae team to win the third set 25-21 and force a fourht set.
- The fourth set began fairly even as the Trojans held just a two-point, 5-3 lead.
- UMO grew their lead to 10-8 on four kills and a Bobcat error.
- LMC came back on a 7-2 run to take a 15-12 lead over UMO.
- Mount Olive climbed within one point, 17-16, before Lees-McRae scored four straight to go ahead 21-16.
- The Trojans tried to rally back but ran out of time as they dropped the fourth set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
- Ania Keene led the team with 14 kills on the night while Sydney Kuhbander was close behind with 12 of her own.
- Kamber Skeen had a triple double with 11 kills, 22 assists and 12 digs.
Mount Olive returns to action on Saturday in a Conference Carolinas contest against King. The Trojans and Tornado take to the court at 2 p.m. in Bristol, Tenn.