Ettrick, Va. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team split their two matches on the opening day of the VSU Tournament. The Trojans defeated the Saint Augustine's Falcons for their first win of the 2018 season but fell to the host Trojans of Virginia State in the 1-1 split.
GAME 1 RECAP
Score: Mount Olive 3 - Saint Augustine's 0 (25-14, 25-13, 25-11)
Records: Mount Olive 1-3; Saint Augustine's 0-1
Location: Ettrick, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened the first set on a 9-3 run that included two kills, one each by Ania Keene and Cyerra Carter, an ace by Nicholle Yeo and six Saint Augustine errors.
- The Falcons pulled within three points, 12-9, before the Trojans scored five straight points, two kills, an ace, and two SAU errors, to take a 17-9 lead.
- UMO held off the Falcons as they went on an 8-5 rally to win the opening set 25-14. Two kills, a Carter block and ace, and four SAU errors combined for the eight UMO points.
- The second set began with both teams trading points through the opening serves with Mount Olive holding on to a slim one-point margin, 8-7, following a back set by the Trojans.
- UMO countered with a 7-2 rally that included five kills from the Trojans to go up 15-9.
- The Trojans closed out the set on a 10-4 run to win the second set 25-13.
- Mount Olive opened the third set with four straight points on a kill by Keene, an ace by Kamber Skeen and two Falcon errors.
- Saint Augustine's went on a 4-1 run to pull within in a point, 5-4, before the Trojans scored four straight on an ace by Lisa Anderson, two kills by Brittany Barnett and a Falcon error.
- The Falcons went on a 5-2 run trailing by two points, 12-10, but Mount Olive turned on the burners closing out the set on a 13-1 run winning the third set 25-11 and the match 3-0.
GAME 2 RECAP
Score: Virginia State 3, Mount Olive 0 (28-26, 25-22, 25-20)
Records: Mount Olive 1-4; Virginia State 4-2
Location: Ettrick, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive started off the first set of their doubleheader keeping pace with the hosts Virginia State as the score sat at 9-6 in UMO's favor.
- VSU tied the score and took a two-point lead, 13-11, on a 7-2 run.
- UMO tied the score up at 16 all as Carter and Barnett combined for a block before State went on a four-point run taking a 20-16 lead.
- The UMO Trojans took a one-point lead, 25-24, following a 9-4 run that included five kills and four VSU Trojan errors.
- Mount Olive could not score the set point as Virginia State took the first set 28-26 after a 4-1 rally.
- Set two began with the teams trading points through the early serves but VSU pulled ahead taking an 8-5 lead over the visiting Trojans.
- UMO came from behind to take a three-point lead, 19-16, following a run that had nine kills and five State errors.
- Virginia State scored six unanswered points reclaiming the lead 23-19.
- The Mount Olive Trojans tried to fight back climbing within two points, 24-22, but could not close the deal as VSU won set two 25-22.
- UMO came out in the third set taking an early 6-3 lead over Virginia State.
- VSU answered with an 11-2 rally to take the 14-8 lead.
- Mount Olive climbed back within a point, 15-14 on a 6-1 run that included three kills and three VSU errors.
- The UMO Trojans were within two points late in the set, 20-18, but VSU held off UMO to win the third set 25-20 and the match 3-0.
- Kamber Skeen had 26 assists, 21 digs, eight kills and three aces on the day.
- Ania Keene held her own with 14 kills and 23 digs and Andrea Rivera-Reyes finished the day with 23 digs.
The Trojans finish up the weekend with a pair of matches against Alderson-Broaddus and Richard Bland to wrap up the VSU Tournament on Saturday, Sept. 1. The first match begins at 10 a.m. vs. Alderson Broaddus with the second match beginning at 12 p.m. against Richard Bland.