Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team earned a hard-fought non-conference victory over Fayetteville State University, 3-2, at Kornegay Arena on Tuesday night.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Fayetteville State 2 (20-25), (25-17), (27-29), (25-21), (15-11)
Records: Mount Olive 6-5 (1-1); Fayetteville State 3-3 (1-2 CIAA)
Location: Kornegay Arena
How It Happened
- The Trojans struggled in the first set hitting just -.029 with 11 errors.
- UMO took a 16-13 lead before the Broncos finished the set with a 12-4 run to take a 1-0 lead.
- As was true most of the evening, UMO jumped out to an early advantage.
- With a kill by junior Britni Johnson, the Trojans opened up a 12-4 lead.
- Mount Olive held a 10 point lead three times (16-6, 17-7, and 24-14) in the dominating set victory.
- Junior Mi'Kayla Benson sealed the set win for UMO with a kill off an assist from freshman Kamber Skeen that slid past a Bronco.
- After UMO grabbed a 5-2 lead, the Broncos stampeded forward using an 8-2 run to take a 10-7 lead.
- Mount Olive took back the lead at 12-11 with the help of two FSU attacking errors and a kill by junior Mackenzie Call.
- In a marathon set, UMO looked to have the advantage late, but three-straight FSU points stole the victory from the Trojans.
- Mount Olive quickly pounced to control the set, holding a 16-9 advantage just past the midway point.
- With the Trojans appearing to have the set in hand, Fayetteville State closed within two points at 23-21.
- UMO snuffed out the Broncos run with three-straight points to finish off the set, 25-21.
- The Trojans captured an 8-5 lead at the switch on a Bronco service error.
- FSU roared back to tie the set 11-11, putting pressure on UMO.
- Mount Olive finished off the set and the match on a 4-0 run spurred by a pair of kills by junior Karley Pounds.
- Junior Casey Fiechter compiled a career-high 33 digs in the victory, one shy of entering the Trojans' record books.
- Pounds led Mount Olive with 15 kills.
- Johnson added 13 kills and 17 digs.
- Skeen racked up a season-high 52 assists.
- Call recorded her second-straight double-double with 12 kills and 13 digs.
- Benson and Skeen each led UMO with four block assists.
The Trojans hit the road for a pair of Conference Carolinas matches beginning with Pfeiffer University on September 23 and Belmont-Abbey College on September 24.