GAFFNEY, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Saints of Limestone College 78-72 in a midweek Conference Carolinas contest in Gaffney, S.C. The victory over Limestone is the first for the Trojans since March 8, 2013, when UMO won 79-66 in overtime in the semifinals of the conference tournament. Felecity Havens recorded her second 40-point game of the season after leading the Trojans with 42 points.
Score: Mount Olive 78, Limestone 72
Records: Mount Olive (12-5, 8-3), Limestone (11-7, 8-3)
Location: Timken Center | Gaffney, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive got out to a slow start as the Trojans scored just seven points in the opening quarter as Limestone rode a 16-7 lead into the second ten minutes.
- UMO scored four points at the start of the second quarter that closed the Limestone lead to seven points, 18-11.
- The Saints went on a 9-0 run before Felecity Havens connected on a layup to halt the run as the Trojans trailed 27-13 with the clock approaching the six-minute mark.
- Limestone controlled the remainder of the quarter as the Saints opened up a 20-point lead, 41-21, over the Trojans at the half.
- Mount Olive came out of the intermission on a 9-4 run that closed the Limestone lead to 15 points, 45-30.
- A long three-pointer from Azariah Fields off the assist from Kelly Post put the Trojans within eight points of the Saints, 49-41, following an 11-4 rally that left four minutes remaining in the third quarter.
- A layup by Havens with nine seconds remaining in the quarter closed the gap to two points, 49-47, before Limestone hit a jumper that put the Saints up 51-47 heading into the fourth.
- Back-to-back layups by the Saints put the home team up nine points in the opening minute of the fourth quarter.
- Havens hit four free throws that cut the Saints lead to five points, 56-51, with 8:15 on the clock.
- Limestone held on to a six-point lead through much of the quarter but a pair of free throws by Havens put the score at 65-59 with 1:42 to go. Havens' free throws spurred an 8-2 rally that tied the game at 67 to force overtime.
- A three-pointer by Havens put the Trojans ahead 70-67, the first time in the contest that UMO took the lead, as the senior recorded her 40th points of the game.
- Makayla Nichols scored on a pair of free throws to go ahead 72-67 but Limestone pulled within two on a three-pointer that fell after a high bounce off the back edge of the rim.
- Jada Bacchus added two free throws that put the score at 74-70 with 2:50 remaining in OT and the Trojans held the Saints to just two final points while UMO closed out the game scoring four more free throws to win 78-72.
- Felecity Havens had her second 40+ point game as she led the Trojans with 42 points. Havens also added 16 rebounds for her sixth double-double this season.
- Jada Bacchus added 17 point and 17 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season.
- The win over Limestone is the first time Mount Olive has beaten the Saints since March 8, 2013, when the Trojans won in overtime in the conference tournament semifinals 79-66. Assistant Coach Jasmine McDonald was on the squad that season.
"The heart, toughness, and sheer determination our entire team showed in the second half is what turned this game around for us. And down the stretch, Felecity Havens' WILL TO WIN was UNBELIEVABLE. We all pulled together like you want to see a team do when things are not going your way," said head coach Wendy Lee. "To come back from 20 points down at halftime is a mentally tough thing to do, but this group of young ladies showed that they have what it takes to do just that. I couldn't be happier for our players to be rewarded with a hard-fought victory for their effort and discipline to finish the game the way they did."