MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team dropped a midweek home contest to the Bulldogs of Barton College 88-71 in Conference Carolinas women's basketball action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Barton 88, Mount Olive 71
Records: Mount Olive (10-5, 6-3), Barton (14-3, 7-3)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Bulldogs opened the contest with a 7-0 run as the Trojans could not find a basket until Makayla Nichols connected on a long three-pointer to put UMO on the scoreboard.
- Nichols' three spurred a 10-4 run by the Trojans that pulled the home team within one point, 11-10, of the Bulldogs, but Barton responded with a 10-4 rally that ended the quarter with BC leading 20-14.
- Barton opened an 11-point lead over Mount Olive in the first two minutes of the second quarter following an 8-3 charge by the Bulldogs that put the score at 28-17.
- The lead grew to as many as 17 points for the school from Wilson as the teams entered halftime with Barton holding a 42-28 lead.
- UMO came out of the half by closing the gap to 10 points following a layup by Felecity Havens that put BC ahead 44-34 as the clock ticked under seven minutes remaining in the third quarter.
- The Bulldogs increased their hold on the lead by scoring 19 points through the remainder of the third quarter compared to the Trojans 12, as Barton entered the fourth quarter with a strong 17-point lead.
- Mount Olive came within 12 points of Barton following a layup by Nichols as the Trojans ran short on time to complete a comeback falling 88-71.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 34 points and added five rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
- Havens sits at 1,727 career points.
- Jada Bacchus and Azariah Fields both had double-figure games scoring 13 and 12 points respectively in the game.
- Bacchus also had seven rebounds to lead the Trojans.