MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team narrowly defeated the Lions of Emmanuel College 63-60 in Conference Carolinas action on Wednesday afternoon at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Felecity Havens with 27 points in the game broke the individual career points record of 1,593, set last season by Ni'Ya Styles, and now sits at 1,607 career points.
Score: Mount Olive 63, Emmanuel 60
Records: Mount Olive (7-3, 3-1), Emmanuel (8-4, 3-2)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Kelly Post scored the first basket of the game on a layup 17 seconds into the contest.
- Over the span of the next three minutes, Emmanuel went on a 15-2 scoring drive to sit ahead 15-4 with 6:43 remaining in the opening quarter.
- UMO pulled within five points, 17-12, following an 8-2 run over three minutes.
- The Trojans ended the quarter on a 7-3 rally and trailed the Lions by one point, 20-19.
- Hope Toliver pull in a basket at the 8:03 mark and another 30 seconds later to give the Trojans a three-point lead, 23-20.
- Over six minutes Emmanuel went on an 11-2 rally to take a six-point lead 31-25 with 2:17 remaining in the half.
- Mount Olive closed out the half with a 10-2 spurt of their own to lead Emmanuel by two, 35-33, as the teams entered halftime.
- UMO came out of the intermission scoring seven points to open up a six-point lead, 41-35, with 7:48 on the clock.
- Mount Olive took a 42-37 lead 30 seconds later and neither team scored again for 3:12 when Emmanuel connected on a layup at 4:07.
- The basket by the Lions started a 13-4 run that closed out the third quarter with Emmanuel leading 50-46.
- Havens scored five points on a three-pointer and a pair of free throws in the first minute of the fourth quarter giving UMO a 51-50 lead before EC hit a basket to reclaim a slim 52-51 lead at 8:26 on the clock.
- Another two-minute window passed where neither team scored until Havens poured in two jump shots and Hope Toliver added one of her own giving UMO a 57-52 lead with 4:48 remaining.
- Emmanuel climbed back within a point, 59-58, following a 6-2 run that ended at 2:42.
- Jada Bacchus and Azariah Fields each scored a pair of free throws that sandwiched an Emmanuel layup that put UMO up 63-60 as the Trojans won their first game of the new year.
- Felecity Havens with 27 points in the game broke the individual career points record of 1,593, set last season by Ni'Ya Styles, and now sits at 1,607 career points. Havens added 13 rebounds in the game for a double-double.
- Hope Toliver joined Havens in double-digits recording 10 points on the evening.
Mount Olive is back on the court this Saturday, January 5, as they hit the road to take on the Crusaders of North Greenville University in Tigerville, S.C. First tip between the Trojans and Crusaders is set for 2 p.m.