HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Cobras of Coker College 62-52 on Tuesday evening in a mid-week non-conference matchup in Hartsville, S.C. Redshirt junior Jada Bacchus led the Trojan offense with 13 points while Felecity Havens, Azariah Fields and Hope Toliver all added 11 points each on the evening.
Score: Mount Olive 62, Coker 52
Records: Mount Olive (5-2), Coker (1-8)
Location: DeLoach Center | Hartsville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Coker took the early lead scoring the first four points of the contest.
- A Felecity Havens three-pointer following the Azariah Fields steal got the Trojans on the scoreboard and trailing the host Cobras by one point, 4-3, at the 5:56 mark.
- UMO took a one-point lead, 5-4, after Jada Bacchus connected on a short jump shot off the assist from Fields and Havens followed with a layup giving Mount Olive a 7-4 lead with just under five minutes to go in the opening quarter.
- A Hope Toliver layup and Kennedi Jones free throw gave UMO their other three points of the quarter as the Trojans took a 10-8 lead into the second 10 minutes.
- Bacchus connected on a jump shot to put Mount Olive up four points, 12-8, 40 seconds into the second quarter.
- The Cobras went on a 6-2 run to knot the score up at 14 all with 6:42 remaining in the half.
- Makayla Nichols hit a three-pointer to take a 17-14 advantage at 6:03.
- Coker took a one-point lead, 18-17, but Mount Olive went on a 4-0 rally courtesy of layups by Kennedi Jones and Kelly Post to take a 21-18 lead.
- The score knotted up again following a Cobra three-pointer but the Trojans closed out the half with a 6-0 run taking a 27-21 lead into the break.
- Coker came out of the halftime intermission to score ten straight points taking a 31-27 lead over the Trojans as the clock approached the six-minute mark.
- A quick steal and layup by Kelly Post gave the Trojans some energy as they went on an 8-2 run to retake a two-point lead, 35-33, following a second Post layup.
- The Cobras retook the lead 39-37 after the score knotted up a few times, but UMO scored three points to close out the quarter as they held on to a slim one-point lead, 40-39.
- A Cobra three-pointer gave Coker a two-point lead, 42-40, 44 seconds into the fourth quarter, which spurred a seven-point run that put the host team up 46-41 as the clock approached seven minutes left in the game.
- Mount Olive clawed their way back into the game following a 7-2 run that tied the score up at 48 points each. Toliver put down a pair of free throws and Fields added a three and a layup in the rally.
- Bacchus poured in a jump shot to give UMO a 50-48 lead that was quickly extinguished by a Cobra three-putting the score at 51-50 with 2:04 remaining in regulation.
- Fields hit a key three-pointer to take a 53-51 lead that initiated a 13-1 run by the Trojans who won the game by ten points, 62-52. In the rally, Fields scored six points on a three and three free throws, while Havens and Bacchus each put up a pair of free throws and Toliver added a layup.
- The Cobras held Felecity Havens to just 11 points when she has been averaging 27.2 points per game heading into tonight's game.
- Havens did record a double-double in the game with 10 rebounds and 11 points.
- Jada Bacchus led all Trojans with 13 points on the evening.
- Bacchus was joined by three others in double-digits including Havens (11), Fields (11), and Toliver (11).
The Trojans return to the friendly confines of Kornegay Arena for Conference Carolinas action against the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College. First tip between the Trojans and Bobcats is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 8.