MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Tornado of King University 69-67 on Saturday evening in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. .
Score: Mount Olive 69, King 67
Records: Mount Olive (4-2, 1-0), King (2-3, 0-1)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Kelly Post got the Trojans on the scoreboard first after layup dropped 33 seconds into the game.
- King and Mount Olive kept the game close as the Tornado held a slim three-point advantage at the 6:14 mark.
- Felecity Havens stopped the King momentum with a run for UMO as the Trojans went on a short 6-0 run to regain the lead 13-10 with 5:05 left in the quarter.
- KU went on to tie the game at 15 but Mount Olive was poised again for another run.
- Hope Toliver made a layup with 2:37 that began an 11-0 run that put UMO up 26-15 with 46 seconds left in the opening quarter.
- Two more buckets were exchanged but Mount Olive held onto their 11-point lead heading into the second.
- The teams began the second quarter in a drought as neither squad could find the bottom of the net for the first two minutes of play.
- King found a spark with a three-pointer at the 6:08 mark that propelled an 8-0 run to decrease the deficit to just two, 30-28, with under two minutes before halftime.
- The game was tied by the Tornado with 30 seconds left but Havens gave UMO the lead with a jumper before the final horn and the Trojans led 34-33 at the break.
- The Tornado came out on fire in the second half as King scored eight unanswered points to regain the lead 41-34 with 7:39 on the clock.
- Mount Olive clawed their way back into the game once more with a run of their own as down 43-36, Leah Williams' jumper started a 9-0 run to put UMO up 45-43.
- As it was for most of the game the final four minutes of play the two teams exchanged the lead with King holding the advantage heading into the final quarter 54-53.
- The final quarter was a barn-burner as the lead for either team was no more the three points, which was held by Mount Olive at the 3:38 mark.
- Havens three-pointer with 2:26 remaining was the final shot made by Mount Olive giving the Trojans a 69-65 lead, but it was enough to hold off the Tornado as King managed only one final bucket at the 1:49 mark.
Felecity Havens finished the evening with 35 points, to lead the Trojans, and was one rebound shy of a double-double.
- Makayla Nichols also reached double-digit points as she recorded 13 points in the contest.
- Jada Bacchus also helped the Trojans defense with 13 rebounds.
The Trojans return to action on Tuesday, December 4, when they will travel to Hartsville, S.C. to take on Coker College. First tip between the Trojans and Cobras is scheduled for 6 p.m.