MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team pulled off the upset over Barton College on Senior Night as Ni'Ya Styles hit a three-point basket with less than a second remaining to take the 81-78 lead to win the game.
Score: Mount Olive 81, Barton 78
Records: Barton (20-8, 15-5), Mount Olive (12-16, 10-10)
Location: Kornegay Arnea | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The game started with Barton taking the 6-2, four-point lead early in the quarter before Mount Olive came back to tie the game at 10 all around the three-minute mark.
- The Trojans stuck with the Bulldogs through the final minutes of the quarter as they entered the second quarter trailing Barton 16-15.
- After taking the one-point lead, 17-16, the Trojans let Barton go on a 13-2 run to take the 10-point lead, 29-19, just under the five-minute mark.
- The Bulldogs held on to a seven-point lead at halftime as the Trojans fought to stay within arms reach heading into the intermission.
- Coming out of the intermission, the Trojans came back to trail by one, 44-43, at the 7:35 mark of the third quarter.
- The Trojans came back to take the lead with one minute remaining in the quarter going up 54-53 following the Ni'Ya Styles layup.
- Felecity Havens scored five points, two free throws and a three-pointer, in the final minute to give Mount Olive the 59-54, five-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- UMO held on to a slim lead through most of the fourth quarter until BC came back to tie the game with 2:21 remaining at 74 all.
- Barton went up by three and Mount Olive answered with a Havens layup to trail 77-76 with 44 seconds left.
- Havens made a jump shot with 30 seconds on the clock to take the 78-77 lead forcing the Barton timeout.
- Following the timeout, Barton tied the game on a free throw at 78 with 12 seconds to go and the ball in Mount Olive's possession.
- Styles with seconds expiring jacked up a three-pointer that connected with the basket to win the game 81-78.
Mount Olive is back in action on Monday, February 26, as they travel to Bristol, Tenn., to face the Tornado of King University in the quarterfinal round of the Conference Carolinas women's basketball tournament. Game time is set for 7 p.m.