MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team downed the Valkyries of Converse College 83-55 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action in Spartanburg, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 83, Converse 55
Records: Converse (9-17, 5-13), Mount Olive (11-15, 9-9)
Location: Spartanburg, S.C.
How It Happened
- Back-to-back three-pointers by Ni'Ya Styles and Felecity Havens gave the Trojans a 14-4 lead over the Valkyries with just over six minutes to play.
- Converse went on a 12-9 run to close out the first quarter but it was the Trojans who were ahead leading 25-16 after the first ten minutes.
- Mount Olive's lead increased to 15-points, 34-19, five minutes through the second quarter following a Tommarah Harris jump shot.
- Converse cut the UMO lead to 10 points around the three-minute mark, but the Trojans went into halftime holding the 11-point, 38-27 lead.
- The Trojans outscored the Valkyries 27-17 in the third quarter as they held on to a 21-point lead through 30 minutes of action.
- UMO again outscored Converse 18-11 in the final quarter as Mount Olive emerged the victor with a 28-point, 83-55 lead to improve to 11-15 overall and 9-9 in conference action.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 25 points while Ni'Ya Styles was close behind with 23.
- Hope Toliver reached double-digit points scoring 10 and bringing down six rebounds.
- Jada Bacchus led the team in rebounds with 14, including nine defensive boards.
Mount Olive is back in action on Tuesday, February 20, as they return to Kornegay Arena to Limestone College on Military Appreciation Night. The Trojans and Saints tipoff at 5:30 p.m. in Conference Carolinas doubleheader action with the men's game to follow at 7:30 p.m.
Note - All active and former members of the military and their families will receive free admission to the games with a special halftime recognition for the men and women of the Armed Forces.