MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Crusaders of North Greenville University 87-85 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Felecity Havens was two points shy of tying her career high 41 points as she scored 39 points to lead the Trojans offense. Havens was also honored pregame for joining the 1,000 point club back on January 10 at Barton.
Score: North Greenville 87, Mount Olive 85
Records: North Greenville (5-16, 4-10), Mount Olive (9-14, 7-8)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the game with four consecutive three-pointers by Felecity Havens, Ni'Ya Styles and Tommarah Harris to give the Trojans the early 12-6 lead.
- The Crusaders closed the gap to four, 14-10, before the Trojans went on an 11-5 run to take the 10-point lead 25-15 with 2:30 to play.
- UMO closed out the quarter on an 11-4 run as they held the 36-19 lead heading into the second ten minutes.
- Havens hit a three to give the Trojans a 20-point lead, 39-19, 30 seconds into the second quarter.
- A 13-8 run by the Crusaders closed the Trojan lead to 15 points, 47-32, with five minutes to play in the half.
- North Greenville closed out the half on a 14-4 run cutting the gap to five points, 51-46, heading into halftime.
- The Crusaders came out of the intermission on a 10-3 run to take a 56-54 lead over the Trojans with 6:41 to play.
- The two squads went back and forth the remainder of the quarter with North Greenville holding the two-point lead 70-68.
- The teams remained close throughout the fourth quarter with the lead changing nine times as neither team held more than a four-point lead with North Greenville taking the last swing of momentum off a three-pointer to win the game 87-85.
- Felecity Havens was two points shy of her career-high 41 points, as she scored 39 on the night as well as tallying nine rebounds.
- Ni'Ya Styles scored 24 points and is now six points away from hitting 1,500 career points.
- Jada Bacchus had a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
- NGU outscored UMO 42-28 in the paint and had 36 points off the bench.
Mount Olive is back in action on Saturday, February 10, as they host the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College. The Trojans and Crusaders faceoff at 2 p.m. at Kornegay Arena for more Conference Carolinas competition.