MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Valkyries from Converse College 98-66 on Wednesday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Ni'Ya Styles led the team with 33 points including seven three-pointers, while Felecity Havens and Jada Bacchus both posted double-doubles with 28 points/17 rebounds and 15 points/13 rebounds respectively.
Score: Mount Olive 98, Converse 66
Records: Converse (8-13, 4-9), Mount Olive (9-13, 7-7)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Valkyries opened the scoring and held a 10-9 lead at the 6:39 mark of the quarter.
- A jump shot by Ni'Ya Styles gave the Trojans a one-point lead, 11-10, which they would hold through the remainder of the game.
- Following the Styles' jump shot, UMO went on a 27-6 run to close out the quarter that included seven three-pointers, four from Styles, two from Tommarah Harris and one from Felecity Havens.
- Mount Olive held an average lead of 10-points throughout the second quarter as they entered halftime with a 14-point, 53-39, lead.
- Converse cut the Mount Olive lead to 10-points, 63-53, with under three to play in the third, but the Trojans closed out the quarter on a 12-0 run taking a 75-53 lead into the final ten minutes.
- UMO's lead grew to over 30 points, 88-57, following a layup with 6:40 left to play and the Trojans closed out the game on a 10-9 run to defeat the Valkyries by a final score of 98-66.
- Ni'Ya Styles led the team with 33 points including seven three-pointers.
- Felecity Havens and Jada Bacchus both posted double-doubles with 28 points/17 rebounds and 15 points/13 rebounds respectively.
- Tommarah Harris joined the double-digit scoring trend with 13 points shooting 5-of-8 from the field and 3-of-5 from behind the three-point arc.
- Hope Toliver was one point (9) and two rebounds (8) shy of a double-double.
- Toliver led the team with six steals with Styles contributing five of her own as the Trojans tallied 17 in the game.
- Mount Olive outrebounded Converse, 50-30, which favored the Trojans in second-chance points 19-8.
- UMO hit 11 of 22 three-pointers shooting 50% from behind the arc.
Mount Olive is back in action on Saturday, February 3, as they host the Crusaders of North Greenville. The Trojans and Crusaders faceoff at 4 p.m. at Kornegay Arena on Church Night for more Conference Carolinas competition.