MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team soared past the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan University on Tuesday evening in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 27 points and 17 rebounds for her ninth double-double of the season.
Score: Mount Olive 79, Southern Wesleyan 56
Records: Southern Wesleyan (5-12, 4-7), Mount Olive (8-11, 6-5)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO opened the game going up 7-0 in the first two minutes following a pair of baskets and a Tommarah Harris three.
- SWU came back in the following 90 seconds to tie the game seven all before Mount Olive went on a 6-2 run putting the score at 13-9 with 4:38 to play.
- A Hope Toliver layup ended the two-minute scoring drought and spurred a 6-4 run that closed out the quarter with UMO leading 19-13.
- Back-to-back three-pointers by Ni'Ya Styles and Tommarah Harris gave the Trojans a 12-point, 25-13 lead in the opening 40 seconds of the second quarter.
- The Warriors cut the UMO lead to seven, 27-20, halfway through the quarter, but the Trojans closed out the half on an 11-5 run entering halftime with a 13-point, 38-25 lead.
- UMO's lead grew to 20 points with 1:48 remaining in the third quarter as the score read 58-38 following the Felecity Havens layup.
- Mount Olive ended the third quarter with an 11-point lead up 63-42.
- The Trojans maintained an 11-point average lead through the fourth quarter and went on to win the game 79-56.
- Felecity Havens recorded 27 points and 17 rebounds to lead UMO in the 23 point victory.
- Ni'Ya Styles added 22 points, three assists, two steals and a block in 33 minutes played.
- The Trojans scored 10 three-pointers shooting 43.5% from behind the arc compared to the Warriors three three-pointers and 21.4%.
- UMO brought down 53 rebounds to score 17 second-chance points while SWU tallied 40 rebounds and seven second-chance points.
Mount Olive takes to the road again for a weekend of Conference Carolinas action at Lees-McRae and King. The Trojans will face the Bobcats of Lees-McRae on Friday, January 26, at 5:30 p.m. in Banner Elk, N.C. UMO will faceoff against the King Tornado the following day, January 27, at 2 p.m. at Bristol, Tenn.