DUE WEST, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Erskine College Flying Fleet 76-62 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas competition in Due West, S.C. Jada Bacchus posted a career day as she scored 28 points to lead Trojans offense in the victory against the Flying Fleet.
Score: Mount Olive 76, Erskine 62
Records: Erskine (4-12, 3-7), Mount Olive (7-11, 5-5)
Location: Due West, S.C.
How It Happened
- The game started with Erskine getting on the board first but the Trojans came back to take a 5-3 lead following a Bacchus layup and a Felecity Havens three-point conversion on a layup and free throw.
- The Flying Fleet tied the game at eight-all but Mount Olive reclaimed the lead following the 7-4 run, putting them up 15-12 with just over three minutes to play.
- Erskine closed out the final three minutes on an 8-0 run to hold a five-point, 20-15, lead heading into the second quarter.
- The Trojans trailed by seven, 24-17, just two minutes into the second quarter, but a 13-6 run by UMO gave the visiting team a one-point lead, 30-29 with 2:47 on the clock.
- Erskine took the lead back on a layup, 31-30, but an 8-5 run by Mount Olive put the Trojans ahead heading into halftime with the score sitting at 38-36.
- The teams kept the score close coming out of halftime as the Flying Fleet would not allow the Trojans lead to grow to more than four points before scoring a basket to cut the lead.
- Mount Olive held a 48-46 lead at the five-minute mark that they grew upon as the Trojans closed out the final five minutes on an 11-3 run that gave the visitors a 10-point lead heading into the final ten minutes.
- UMO scored the first four points of the fourth to take a 14-point lead over Erskine at the six-minute mark.
- Mount Olive's lead was cut to nine, 68-59 with 2:54 to play, but the Trojans closed out the game on an 8-3 run to put the final score at 76-62 and picking up their first win since January 6.
- Jada Bacchus led the Trojan scoring efforts with a career-high 28 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double.
- Felecity Havens was just behind Bacchus with 27 points and 14 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season.
- The Trojans held the lead for 24:37 of the game.
UMO returns to action on Tuesday evening as the team comes home to Kornegay Arena for the fourth annual Piggly Wiggly Black Out Night. Mount Olive will host Southern Wesleyan for a women's and men's doubleheader that begins at 5:30 p.m.