TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Crusaders of North Greenville University 84-70 on Monday afternoon at Hayes Gymnasium in Tigerville, S.C. Senior Ni'Ya Styles, with her 21 points in the game, became the new leader in career points in a Trojan women's basketball uniform.
Score: North Greenville 84, Mount Olive 70
Records: North Greenville (4-12, 3-6), Mount Olive (6-11, 4-5)
Location: Hayes Gymnasium | Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive scored the first seven points of the game before North Greenville got on the scoreboard almost two minutes into the action.
- NGU came back within a point before a three-pointer by Ni'Ya Styles gave the Trojans a four-point lead just before the five-minute mark. With the made basket, Styles surpassed the previous career points leader to become the new leader for career points in a Trojan women's basketball uniform.
- The Trojans went on a 9-4 run over the next four minutes to take the 19-10 lead with just over a minute to play.
- UMO took a 22-11 lead into the second quarter after each team scored a basket in the final minute of the first quarter.
- Felecity Havens extended the UMO lead to 14 as she hit a three-pointer just 10 seconds into the second quarter.
- NGU went on a 9-4 run to cut the UMO lead to single digits, 29-20, with five and a half minutes to play.
- The Trojans scored a couple more points but the Crusaders came back to take the lead 31-30 at the 1:54 mark of the second quarter following an 11-1 run.
- North Greenville closed out the half with six more points as they took a seven-point lead into halftime up 37-30.
- UMO scored the first basket of the third quarter but NGU quickly pushed their lead to ten points following an eight-zero run putting the score at 43-33 with 7:40 on the clock.
- The Crusader lead grew to 15 points by the five-minute mark with the score sitting at 52-37.
- Mount Olive fought to come back but the North Greenville lead grew to 20 just before the fourth quarter but Styles converted two free throws to put the score at 64-46.
- The Trojans went on an 8-3 run to start the fourth quarter closing the gap to 13 points at 7:32.
- North Greenville's lead grew back up to 18 points with 2:41 to play and the score reading 79-61.
- Mount Olive's offense could not close on the Crusader's lead as NGU went on to win the game 84-70.
- Ni'Ya Styles and Felecity Havens led the Trojan offense with 21 points each.
- Senior Tommarah Harris scored 10 points in the game as the only other Trojan to hit the double-digit range.
- The Trojans were held to just eight points in the second quarter but outscored the Crusaders 24-20 in the fourth.
- Styles needed just six points in the game to take over the lead for career-points in a Trojan women's basketball uniform. With her 21 points in the game, Styles passed by Tomeka Prichard ('05-'09) who held the previous record of 1,358. Styles now has 1,374 career-points and growing.
The Trojans return to action on January 20 as they travel to Due West, S.C. to take on Erskine College. The Trojans and Flying Fleet tip off at 2 p.m. for the Saturday matinee in game one of the women's and men's doubleheader.