CENTRAL, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action in Historic Tysinger Gymnasium.
Score: Southern Wesleyan 75, Mount Olive 72
Records: Southern Wesleyan (5-9, 4-4), Mount Olive (6-10, 4-4)
Location: Central, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive held a 3-0 lead on the scoreboard for about three and a half minutes before Southern Wesleyan scored at 7:28 and went on an 8-0 run over the next three minutes.
- The Trojans countered with an 11-4 run that helped them tie and take the lead in the game 14-12 with 95 seconds left in the first quarter.
- SWU closed out the quarter on a 7-4 spurt that gave them a one-point lead, 19-18, heading into the second quarter.
- The teams were neck and neck through the opening four minutes of the second quarter with neither team gaining a lead larger than four, held by SWU 26-22 at 6:06.
- SWU went up by six, 32-26, but the Trojans hit a three by Felecity Havens to cut the lead to three with just over four to play.
- The score stayed around the three to five point range with the Warriors holding the lead as the teams entered halftime with the score sitting at 41-35.
- Southern Wesleyan came out of halftime to take a seven-point lead that the Trojans cut to two, 45-43 with 6:57 on the clock.
- The Trojans let the lead get up to eight, 51-43, following a 6-0 run by the Warriors before going on their own 6-0 run to put the difference back at two points, 51-49.
- UMO went on a 7-4 run to take the lead 56-55 with 2:15 left in the quarter but SWU would not back down and came back to take a three-point lead 59-56 with 78 seconds to play.
- Mount Olive again came back to take a one-point lead, 60-59 with 11 seconds left, but a buzzer beater three by Southern Wesleyan gave them the 62-60 lead heading into the fourth.
- The Warriors went on a 5-0 run to open the fourth quarter taking the 67-60 lead with seven and a half to play.
- Mount Olive tied the game up at 69 all and took a two-point lead following their own 11-2 run over SWU to lead 71-69 with 5:12 remaining on the clock.
- Neither team scored again for three minutes until SWU hit a free throw that spurred a three-point spurt for the Warriors who took a two-point lead, 73-71, with 14 seconds to go.
- The Trojans had an opportunity to tie the game on a pair of free throws but only connected on one putting the score at 73-72 with three seconds left.
- A foul by the Trojans to try and conserve the remaining time allowed SWU to take two free throws, which were both good, as the Warriors won 75-72.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 22 points with Ni'Ya Styles scoring 19 and Kennedi Jones tallied 10.
- Jaylyn Copeland led the team with 11 rebounds and Kelly Post assisted teammates six times during the game.
The Trojans return to action on January 15 as they travel to Tigerville, S.C. to face Conference Carolinas opponent North Greenville University. The Trojans and Crusaders tip-off at 2 p.m. in game one of the women's and men's doubleheader.