BELMONT, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College, 79-62, in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday afternoon in Belmont, N.C.
Score: Belmont Abbey 79, Mount Olive 62
Records: Belmont Abbey (8-4, 5-0), Mount Olive (4-8, 2-2)
Location: Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans took four minutes of gametime before getting on the scoreboard, but UMO came back from five down to tie the game at eight all on a layup by Kennedi Jones with under two minutes to play in the first.
- Belmont Abbey scored seven unanswered points as they took a 15-8 lead heading into the second quarter.
- Mount Olive cut the lead to three points six times during the second quarter, getting as close as 25-22, but Belmont Abbey finished out the quarter on a 12-3 run holding a 37-25 lead at halftime.
- UMO came out of the intermission scoring the first eight points of the quarter pulling within four points, 37-33, before the Crusaders scored thier first points of the quarter at the 6:22 mark.
- The Trojans fought back to come within one point of the Crusaders, 40-39 at 4:15, but BAC went on an 11-0 run going up 50-39 with 2:26 to play.
- A layup by Kelly Post pulled the score back down to single digits, 50-41, with 1:44 remaining in the third, but the Crusaders hit a three-pointer at the buzzer to expand their lead to 13 heading into the final ten minutes.
- Mount Olive cut the Belmont lead to 12 at one point but the home Crusaders managed to hold a 17-point lead at the end to to win 79-62.
- Ni'Ya Styles led the Trojans wth 22 points while both Hope Tolliver and Kelly Post each scored 14 in the game.
The Trojans return to action on January 5 as they return home to Mount Olive to host King University. The Trojans and Tornado tip-off at 5:30 p.m. in game one of the women's and men's double-header.