GAFFNEY, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Saints of Limestone College 78-60 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action in Gaffney, S.C. Junior Jada Bacchus recorded a career-high 19 points to lead the Trojans offense.
Score: Limestone 78, Mount Olive 60
Records: Limestone College (8-2, 4-0), Mount Olive (4-7, 2-1)
Location: Timken Center | Gaffney, S.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans were kept off the scoreboard for the first two minutes until Jada Bacchus scored a layup and free throw following a foul by Limestone just under the eight-minute mark.
- Bacchus' three points spurred a 7-0 Trojan run over 40 seconds to take a four-point lead over the Saints 7-3.
- Limestone came back to take a one-point lead, 8-7 at the six-minute mark, but Mount Olive countered with a 12-0 run putting them up 19-8 with 3:27 remaining in the first.
- The Trojans closed out the final minutes of the quarter scoring five more points to hold a 10-point lead, 24-14 heading into the second quarter.
- The Saints opened the second quarter going on a 9-2 run through the first four minutes cutting the Trojan lead to three, 26-23.
- LC took the lead a couple times in the final six minutes but the Trojans fought to take a three-point lead into halftime, 37-34, following the Ni'Ya Styles three-pointer as time expired.
- The Trojans held a six-point lead at the 7:44 mark, 42-36, but the Saints rallied to take a seven-point lead at the end of the third quarter, 52-45, following a 16-3 run.
- UMO trailed by nine points, 58-47 with eight minutes to play, but Limestone held off the Trojans to win by 18 points 78-60.
- Bacchus led the Trojans with a double-double including a new career-high 19 points and 12 total rebounds.
- Ni'Ya Styles was the only other Trojan to hit double digits in points with 15.
- Felecity Havens was held to only six points, just her second game this season in single-digit scoring.
The Trojans return to action on December 30 as they travel to Belmont, N.C. to face the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. at the Wheeler Center between the Trojans and Crusaders.