MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Hawks of Chowan University 80-77 in non-conference basketball inside Kornegay Arena Wednesday night.
Score: Chowan 80, Mount Olive 77
Records: Chowan University (8-1, 0-0), Mount Olive (3-6, 1-0)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Jada Bacchus put Mount Olive on the boards first as her made layup gave the Trojans a two-point lead with 9:20 left in the first quarter.
- The score remained close for most of the opening quarter as neither team took more than a four-point lead.
- Chowan held an 8-4 lead before UMO went on an 11-0 run to push out to the Trojans' highest lead of the game at 15-8.
- UMO held onto a slim lead heading into the second quarter leading 22-21.
- Mount Olive held the lead for the entire second quarter growing the lead to as much as seven.
- Chowan did head into the half with the momentum, finishing the quarter with six straight points, as UMO led 47-46.
- The Trojans were finally caught by the Hawks with seven minutes left in the third as CU score eight unanswered points to take a 57-51 lead.
- Chowan continued to hold their lead heading into the fourth quarter as they led 71-67.
- Mount Olive was able to tie the game at 71 with three minutes remaining in the contest but were unable to find the go-ahead basket as the Trojans fell 80-77.
- Felecity Havens led all Trojan scorers with 24 points and also added 11 rebound to finish with her fourth double-double of the season.
- Ni'Ya Styles was the only other Trojan to finish in double figures as she contributed 13 points with seven rebounds and three assists.
UMO is back in action on Saturday, December 9, as they host Erskine in Conference Carolinas action. The Trojans and Flying Fleet face off in Kornegay Arena at 2 p.m.