MOUNT OLIVE, N.C.. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team beat Elizabeth City State University 86-83 in non-conference action Wednesday evening at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 86, Elizabeth City State 83
Records: Elizabeth City State (3-4), Mount Olive (2-5)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Vikings held a three-point advantage throughout most of the first quarter.
- Mount Olive pulled within one point several times, the last being 12-11 at the 5:34 mark, before the Vikings closed out the quarter on a 13-6 run leading 25-17 after the first ten minutes.
- UMO fought back chipping away at the ECSU lead to trail by two points, 32-30, with three and a half minutes remaining in the half.
- The score tied three times in the next three minutes but a shot by ECSU just before the buzzer carried them into halftime with a 39-37 lead.
- The Trojans took their first lead of the game at the 7:30 mark, 44-42, that then spurred a battle back-and-forth between the two teams.
- Ni'Ya Styles was fouled in the final second while taking a three-point shot and converted all three free throws to take a three-point lead at the end of the third, 57-54.
- UMO expanded their lead to five, 59-54, in the opening seconds of the fourth quarter.
- ECSU pulled within two points, 61-59, before the Trojans went on an 8-2 run over the next two minutes to lead by eight points with 6:47 to play.
- The Trojans lead was cut to four several times before they opened up a seven-point lead, 80-73, with 2:47 remaining.
- The Vikings rallied going on a 10-6 run in the final minutes of the game but came up just short falling to the Trojans 86-83.
- Ni'Ya Styles led all scorers with 30 points. She went 50% from the floor and behind the arc, as well as shooting 7-7 from the free throw line.
- Felecity Havens put up a quiet 24 points and five rebounds as she shot 50% from the field. Havens was second on the team in assists with six on the night.
- Kennedi Jones was 6-8 from the field collecting 13 points, four rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
- Jada Bacchus led the team in rebounds with 12, setting a new career high, and added 10 points while also leading in assists with seven, also a career high, coming up three shy of a triple-double.
UMO is back in action on Saturday, December 2, as they travel to Emmanuel College in the Conference Carolinas opener. First tip is set for 2 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga.