SAINT PETERSBURG, FLA. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Tritons of Eckerd College 69-65 in non-conference action Saturday afternoon in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
Score: Eckerd College 69, Mount Olive 65
Records: Eckerd College (5-1), Mount Olive (1-5)
Location: Saint Petersburg, Fla.
How It Happened
- The Tritons got out of the gate quickly as they opened up a 10-point lead that they carried through to the end of the first quarter.
- UMO fought back chipping away at the EC lead to trail by one point, 33-32, with a minute remaining in the half.
- Eckerd scored three points in the final minute carrying a 36-32 lead into the half.
- The Trojans stayed within reach of the Tritons as they trailed by one point, 48-47, at the 1:54 mark in the third quarter following a pair of free throws by Makayla Nichols.
- Eckerd carried their 53-48 lead into the final ten minutes and increased the gap to as many as eight points, 60-52, halfway through the fourth quarter.
- Mount Olive remained persistent in their efforts to come back but ran out of time as Eckerd won 69-65.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 20 points and 10 rebounds for her second double-double of the weekend.
- Ni'Ya Styles was just behind Havens with 18 points and led the team with four steals.
UMO is back in action on Wednesday, Nov. 29, as they host Fayetteville State in a midweek non-conference matchup. First tip is set for 6 p.m. at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.