SAINT PETERSBURG, FLA. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Moccasins of Florida Southern College 78-60 at the Eckerd College Thanksgiving Tournament on Friday afternoon in Saint Petersburg, Fla.
Score: Florida Southern 78, Mount Olive 60
Records: Florida Southern (5-1), Mount Olive (1-4)
Location: Saint Petersburg, Fla.
How It Happened
- The Trojans took the early 7-0 lead as Felecity Havens got UMO on the board first with a made basket from behind the arc.
- FSC went on a 9-2 run after getting on the board at the 7:28 mark of the first quarter to tie the game 9 all at 5:44.
- Mount Olive took a nine-point lead following a 10-2 run putting the score at 19-11 at the 2:46 mark.
- The Mocs closed out the quarter on a 6-1 run pulling within three points of the Trojans who led 20-17 through the first 10 minutes.
- Florida Southern opened the second quarter with two straight baskets to take their first lead of the game 21-20.
- The Trojans reclaimed the lead 25-21 following a layup by Havens and a made three-pointer by Ni'Ya Styles.
- FSC again took the lead going up by four points before UMO came back to tie the game at 28 all at the 3:08 mark.
- The Mocs again went ahead on the scoreboard with two made baskets but the Trojans scored three straight baskets to tie and take the two-point lead, 34-32, heading into halftime.
- Florida Southern came out of the intermission shifting the momentum in their direction as they outscored Mount Olive 32-14 to take the 64-48 lead through 30 minutes of action.
- Jada Bacchus put the first score on the board in the fourth quarter to pull the Trojans within 14 points, 64-50.
- FSC scored two straight baskets to increase their lead to 19 with 6:28 to play.
- UMO went on a 4-1 run to get bask within 16 points as the clock ticked down to 3:48.
- Two minutes later Makayla Nichols connected on a couple of free throws to put the score at 70-56 (1:33).
- In the final 93 seconds, the Mocs went on an 8-4 run taking the 18 point lead to win 78-60 over the Trojans.
- Felecity Havens had 21 points and 14 rebounds, 13 of which came on the defensive end.
The Trojans return to action tomorrow Saturday, Nov. 25, on day two of the Eckerd College Thanksgiving Classic. UMO will face off against the hosts of Eckerd College at 3 p.m.