CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team traveled to the home of the Tar Heels at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill on Monday night for their final preseason exhibition game. The Trojans used the opportunity to learn and gain experience against a traditional powerhouse program in the ladies of the UNC Tar Heels.
Score: North Carolina 102, Mount Olive 47
Records: Mount Olive (0-0), North Carolina (0-0)
Location: Carmichael Arena, Chapel Hill, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Tar Heels opened the game with a quick six points but the Trojans answered back by tying the game and took a two-point lead, their only lead of the game.
- UNC reclaimed the lead and went up by three off the long shot from North Carolina's Cherry.
- Mount Olive came within one point two times before North Carolina grew their lead to as many as 12 points by the end of the first quarter.
- The Tar Heels opened the second quarter with five quick points but the Trojans came back to cut UNC's lead from 15 to nine, 35-26, by the 6:20 mark.
- North Carolina closed out the final six minutes on a 16-5 run as they entered halftime with a 20-point lead, 51-31.
- Coming out of the half, the Trojans scored the first three points to chip away at the Tar Heel lead.
- From then on it was all North Carolina's game as they increased their lead to 40 by the end of the quarter, 83-43.
- UNC went on a 10-point run over four minutes to open the fourth, extending their lead to 50 before the Trojans scored on a free throw by Hope Toliver.
- The Tar Heels closed out the fourth quarter on a 9-3 run as they beat the Trojans 102-47.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 21 points shooting 57% from the field going 8-14 on the evening.
- Jada Bacchus led with 10 rebounds, seven of which came on defense.
- Ni'Ya Styles played 33 minutes of the game for the Trojans seeing the most game time on the night.
- The Trojans shot 68.4% from the stripe collecting on 13-19 attempts at the free throw line.
"We appreciate Coach Sylvia Hatchell and the UNC women's basketball staff for allowing us this opportunity to play against such a storied and well-respected program," said head coach Wendy Lee. "Our team had some really good possessions that we executed on and got some good looks offensively, and we want to continue to build on that. And junior Felecity Havens really stepped up for us as a leader tonight which will definitely help in our tough 2017-18 schedule ahead of us."
The Trojans open their season this Friday, Nov. 10, as they travel to Hickory, N.C., to participate in the SAC/Conference Carolinas Tip-Off Classic hosted by Lenior Rhyne. UMO will face the Indians of Catawba in the first game of the classic with the first tip set for 2 p.m.