Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team captured an 83-77 victory over Erskine College in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas Women's Basketball Tournament on Monday night in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 83, Erskine 77
Records: Mount Olive (22-6, 18-4 CC), Erskine (12-17, 10-12 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- After Erskine grabbed an early 7-4 lead, the Trojans responded with a 9-2 run to take a 13-9 advantage on a free throw by senior Kiara Jones with 3:29 left in the opening quarter.
- The Trojans increased their advantage to seven after the first ten minutes on a three by freshman Kelly Funderburk just before the buzzer as UMO grabbed a 21-14 lead heading into the second period.
- Mount Olive stretched its lead to 12 midway through the second frame as a three by senior Daria Simmons pushed UMO ahead 34-22 with 5:30 remaining in the half.
- Erskine charged back to within six at 36-30 with just 1:04 left in the second quarter.
- Junior Felecity Havens knocked down a jumper with just 53 seconds to increase the Trojans' advantage to 38-30 at the halftime break.
- The Flying Fleet once again cut UMO's lead to six as Erskine trimmed the Trojans' advantage to 42-36 with 5:59 left in the quarter.
- Responding quickly, Mount Olive regained a double-digit lead just 1:18 later as freshman Hope Toliver added a free throw and a layup to push the Trojans back ahead, 48-38, with 4:41 left on the clock in the third frame.
- Erskine was not phased as the Flying Fleet got within three at 53-50 with 1:14 remaining in the period.
- For the third-straight quarter, UMO ended the period with the last basket as freshman Makayla Nichols drained a three to give the Trojans a 56-50 lead heading into the final quarter.
- The Flying Fleet got as close as five on two separate occasions, as Erskine cut Mount Olive's lead to just 68-63 with 4:41 left to play.
- UMO responded with consistent scoring over the final five minutes, as the Trojans never allowed Erskine to inch any closer in the final quarter in route to the Trojans' 83-77 victory.
- Simmons poured in 26 points to lead UMO in the win.
- Also scoring in double figures were Toliver (17), Jones (12), Styles (11), and Nichols (10).
- Kiara Jones added 20 rebounds, the third-most in a single game in program history, while breaking the program record for most rebounds in a single season with 307 in the process.
- UMO narrowly outshot Erskine, 43.3% to 42.5%, with the Trojans also winning the rebounding battle, 50 to 39.
The Trojans continue action in the Conference Carolinas Women's Basketball Tournament as UMO will travel to Gaffney, S.C. and take on second-seeded King University in the semifinals on Saturday, March 4.