Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team scored the fifth-most points in a single game in program history in a 103-73 victory over Erskine College on Free Will Baptist Church Night in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 103, Erskine 73
Records: Mount Olive (20-5, 17-3 CC), Erskine (11-15, 9-11 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- A string of three-straight layups by senior Kiara Jones gave UMO a 10-5 lead over Erskine with 5:11 left in the opening quarter.
- The Bobcats got back within a single point at 12-11, but the Trojans responded with a 13-5 run to close the quarter and take a 25-16 lead after the first ten minutes of play.
- UMO's lead inflated to 12 at 30-18 with 8:49 remaining in the half after a three-pointer by junior Tommarah Harris and a jumper by junior Felecity Havens.
- The Trojans grabbed full control of the game with a 13-0 run that provided Mount Olive a 43-20 lead with 4:48 left on the clock.
- A pair of free throws by freshman Makayla Nichols pushed the Trojans' advantage to its largest point in the first half at 55-26 before the Flying Fleet trimmed UMO's lead to 58-32 at the halftime break.
- UMO's lead hit 30 at 64-34 on a jumper by senior Daria Simmons with 8:35 left in the third quarter.
- The Trojans ended the period with a three by Havens that gave Mount Olive an 83-52 lead after three quarters of play.
- Just past the midway point of the quarter, a layup and free throw by freshman Kelly Funderburk gave UMO its largest lead of the contest at 98-60 with 4:03 left to play.
- Erskine trimmed Mount Olive's advantage back to 30 as the Flying Fleet finished the contest on a 13-5 run in UMO's 103-73 victory.
- Simmons led the way for the Trojans with 23 points and six steals in the victory.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Styles (18), Kiara Jones (17), and Havens (16).
- UMO recorded its best shooting night of the season as the Trojans outshot Erskine, 58.7% to 38%.
- Mount Olive also won the rebounding battle as UMO outrebounded the Flying Fleet, 44-32, in the victory.
- The 103 points are the fifth-most points in a single game in program history and the second time this season that the Trojans have surpassed the century mark.
- With the win, UMO earns its first 20-win season since the 2010-11 campaign.
Mount Olive returns to action in Kornegay Arena on Tuesday evening as the Trojans take on King University at 5:30 p.m. in Mount Olive, N.C.