Bristol, Tenn. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to King University, 74-61, on Saturday afternoon in Bristol, Tennessee.
Score: King 74, Mount Olive 61
Records: King (18-6, 15-3 CC), Mount Olive (18-5, 15-3 CC)
Location: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
How It Happened
- After falling behind 4-0 in the opening two minutes of the game, UMO used a 10-0 run to take a 10-4 lead over King with 4:38 left in the opening period.
- The Tornado closed back within one at 12-11 with just 47 seconds left in the quarter, but Mount Olive scored the last four points of the period to take a 16-11 lead.
- After extending their run to six with the opening score of the second quarter, the Trojans saw their lead whittled down as a three by King trimmed UMO's advantage to 19-16 with 5:38 left in the period.
- King gained its first lead since the opening two minutes at 25-23 and continued its run to open up a 32-24 lead at the halftime break.
- The lead for the Tornado ballooned to 14 at 43-29 with 5:13 left in the third period.
- The Trojans got back within 10 at 45-35 with a layup by junior Ni'Ya Styles with 3:36 remaining on the clock.
- A three-pointer by King capped off a 7-1 run to increase the Tornado's lead to its largest point at 52-36 with 41 seconds left in the quarter.
- UMO battled back in the final frame as a three by junior Felecity Havens pushed the Trojans back within three at 59-56 with just under five minutes left to play.
- The Trojans' momentum was squelched by King as the Tornado responded with a 9-0 run to push UMO's deficit back to 12 at 68-56 with just 1:28 remaining on the clock.
- King and Mount Olive traded baskets over the final minute and a half as the Tornado captured the 74-61 win.
- Senior Kiara Jones led the way for UMO, pouring in 19 points and pulling down 14 rebounds.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Havens (18) and Styles (14).
- UMO was outshot by King, 42.3% to 33.8%, and outrebounded by the Tornado, 49-41.
Mount Olive next travels to Wilson, North Carolina on Wednesday for a 5:30 p.m. showdown with Barton.