Spartanburg, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team survived a late rally to earn an 85-76 victory over Converse on Saturday afternoon in Spartanburg, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 85, Converse 76
Records: Mount Olive (17-4, 14-2 CC), Converse (4-16, 3-13 CC)
Location: Hannah Gym, Spartanburg, S.C.
How It Happened
- After Converse scored the opening two points of the contest, UMO scored six-straight on a pair of buckets by junior Ni'Ya Styles and a layup by senior Daria Simmons with 6:09 left in the quarter.
- Converse creeped back to tie the game at 13 with 1:59 remaining on the clock, but UMO snuck back out to a three-point lead after the first period as Styles knocked down a jumper at the buzzer to push the Trojans' lead to 21-18.
- The Trojans dominated the second half using a 17-0 run to open the half and take a 38-18 lead over the Valkyries with 4:17 to play in the half.
- Closing out the half, Converse put together a 9-2 spurt that got the Valkyries within 13 at 40-27 at the break.
- Junior Felecity Havens scored seven of the Trojans' first nine points of the third period as UMO increased its advantage to 15 at 49-34 with 7:41 left in the quarter.
- A tussle ensued over the course of the rest of the third frame as the Trojans tried to preserve their double-digit lead.
- Converse trimmed UMO's advantage to single digits at 62-54 heading into the final quarter.
- Mount Olive's lead grew even thinner with 8:19 remaining in the contest as Converse cut its deficit to just seven at 67-60.
- The Trojans used a late 11-4 run to provide some cushion as UMO grabbed a 78-62 lead with 4:46 left to play.
- Converse threatened again cutting Mount Olive's lead to eight at 80-72 with 58 seconds left on the clock.
- Staving off the Valkyries in the final minute, UMO secured the 85-76 road victory.
- Havens led the Trojans with 25 points while also chipping in 12 boards for the junior's 14th double-double of the season.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Styles (24) and Simmons (14).
- Simmons came within shouting distance of a quadruple-double, finishing with 14 points 10 boards, six steals, and five assists.
- UMO outshot Converse, 50% to 33.3%, and edged the Valkyries, 47-46, in rebounds.
Mount Olive battles Belmont Abbey on Wednesday in Belmont, N.C. at 5:30 p.m. in Conference Carolinas play.