Gaffney, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team saw its seven-game win streak end in an 86-63 loss to Limestone on Saturday evening in Gaffney, S.C.
Score: Limestone 86, Mount Olive 63
Records: Limestone (16-3, 13-1 CC), Mount Olive (14-4, 12-2 CC)
Location: Timken Center, Gaffney, S.C.
How It Happened
- UMO fell behind early as Limestone jumped out to a 5-0 lead just 1:49 into the contest.
- Keeping pace with the Saints, junior Rachel Fehl hit a pair of free throws to keep the Trojans within three at 9-6 with 6:55 left in the opening quarter.
- Limestone's lead reached its largest point of the first quarter at 18-11, but UMO responded to cut its deficit to 22-17 heading into the second period.
- After a jumper by senior Daria Simmons cut the Saints' lead to three at 22-19 Limestone finished the quarter on a 20-5 run to take a 42-24 advantage into the break.
- UMO recorded just seven points in the second frame to Limestone's 20.
- The Trojans shot just 29.6% from the field in the first half and committed 10 turnovers, while Limestone shot 44.1% and turned the ball over just three times.
- Junior Felecity Havens went on a personal 7-0 run to open the half and slice Limestone's lead to 10 at 42-32 with 8:38 remaining on the clock.
- Limestone increased the lead back to 12 with a layup, but it was Havens again who trimmed the Trojans' deficit to nine at 44-35 with a three with 7:40 left in the period.
- The Saints increased their lead back to 15 ending the quarter with a 62-47 lead.
- A 7-0 run to open the final frame gave Limestone a 69-47 lead with 8:14 left in the contest.
- Back-to-back layups by Havens got UMO back within 18 points with 4:43 remaining, but the Trojans could draw no closer as Limestone captured the 86-63 win.
- Havens recorded her 12th double-double of the season as the junior recorded a team-high 26 points and 10 boards to lead UMO.
- Entering the game, Havens lead Conference Carolinas in rebounding and was ninth in the nation in boards per game.
- Also in double figures for UMO was Simmons who tallied 17 for the Trojans.
- UMO was outshot by Limestone, 46.2% to 36.8%, and outrebounded by the Saints, 46-33.
Mount Olive returns to Kornegay Arena on Wednesday for a 5:30 p.m. matchup with Belmont Abbey.