Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team topped Emmanuel College 79-62 on Saturday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 79, Emmanuel 62
Records: Mount Olive (11-3, 8-1 CC), Emmanuel (5-7, 4-5 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started out the game hot as Daria Simmons recorded the first four points of the game on the Trojans way to holding a 10-4 lead 2:29 into the opening quarter.
- Emmanuel fought back, however, to take the lead 11-10 on a seven-point run.
- The game exchanged hands but a last second three-pointer by Ni'Ya Styles gave the Trojans a 19-16 lead heading into the second quarter.
- Kelly Funderburk with 8:14 on the clock drained a three-point jumper to boost UMO to a 14-3 offensive outburst and push their lead to 35-21, the largest margin at that point.
- UMO held onto their lead at the halftime buzzer holding a 41-29 advantage.
- The Trojans' lead expanded to 15 following a six-point run with 6:45 remaining in the quarter.
- The Lions were able to get the deficit to 54-44 heading into the final frame on the heels of a 7-0 run to end the quarter.
- Mount Olive's lead stretched out to as high as 19 in the final quarter as the Trojans secured the 79-62 victory.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 28 points and 12 rebounds.
- Daria Simmons (17), Ni'Ya Styles (15), and Kiara Jones (11) joined Havens with double figure performances.
- UMO outshot Emmanuel, 44.4% to 34.2% and outrebounded the Lions, 51-38.
- Mount Olive with the win ends a seven-game homestand in which the Trojans went 6-1.
Mount Olive will travel for a single Conference Carolinas road matchup with North Greenville University on January 16 at 5:30 p.m. in Tigerville, S.C.