Mount Olive, N.C. – In a hard-fought non-conference clash, the University of Mount Olive women's basketball team topped UNC Pembroke 62-56 on Wednesday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 62, UNC Pembroke 56
Records: Mount Olive (7-2, 4-0 CC), UNC Pembroke (4-2, 0-0 PBC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO struggled to get going offensively, as the Trojans scored just two points in the first 7:54 of the contest and trailed UNCP 11-2 with 2:06 left in the opening period.
- The Trojans amassed a 5-2 mini-run to cut UNCP's lead to 13-7 after ten minutes of play.
- Utilizing the momentum built in the final minutes of the first quarter, Mount Olive stormed back to tie the contest at 17-17 in route to a 22-22 tie at the half.
- The Trojans sprinted out on a 5-0 run to open the half taking a 27-22 lead over the Braves with 8:21 left in the third period.
- UNCP cut the UMO lead to just one at 37-36 with 1:08 left in the frame, but Mount Olive responded with a pair of baskets in the final minute to increase its lead to 41-39 heading into the fourth quarter.
- A 7-0 run to open the period helped the Braves build a 46-41 lead with 7:51 left in the contest.
- Wasting no time, UMO tied the game at 46 with under seven minutes remaining with a 5-0 run fueled by a three and layup by junior Ni'Ya Styles.
- Over the next two minutes, the Braves and Trojans traded leads before UMO pulled away for good on four made free throws by senior Daria Simmons.
- Havens led UMO with 15 points and 14 rebounds earning her fourth-straight double-double.
- Simmons added 14 points for the Trojans, scoring 10 from the charity stripe.
- Styles chipped in 13 points and a team-high five assists.
- UNCP outshot Mount Olive, 43.1% (25-58) to 33.9% (19-56, but the Trojans shot 18 more free throws than the Braves, making 16 more than UNCP.
Mount Olive takes a long break for the holidays, returning to action January 3 for a contest with Converse College at 5:30 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.