Banner Elk, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a road victory over Lees-McRae College, 100-85, on Saturday afternoon in Banner Elk, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 100, Lees-McRae 85
Records: Mount Olive (4-2, 3-0 CC), Lees-McRae (1-6, 1-2 CC)
Location: Williams Gymnasium, Banner Elk, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive had the lead from the opening tip as the Trojans converted a free-throw to put the first points on the board.
- Felecity Havens sparked a quick six-point run with 6:22 on the clock in the opening quarter and UMO took a 17-5 lead.
- Following a Lees-McRae three-pointer on the next possession, Mount Olive's offense sprouted off a 15-point run to push the lead to 32-8, the largest lead UMO had in the game.
- The Bobcats clawed back at the start of the second quarter with five unanswered points that combined with four from the end of the first quarter and the Trojans lead shrunk to 32-17 with 8:32 remaining.
- Mount Olive's lead stayed above 15 until the Bobcats Jordan Soares' jumper with 2:41 started an 11-2 run to end the half and the Trojans lead was down to 48-38.
- The Trojans maintained the lead throughout the third quarter and with the help of an 8-to-4 run to end the quarter, UMO pushed their cushion back over 20.
- Midway through the final quarter Lees-McRae made a push to take the game back as with just over six minutes left in the game the Bobcats scored eight unanswered points to push the game to an 88-72 score.
- Lees-McRae had one final run towards the end of the game with a nine-point run with under two to play that made the score 96-83, however, that was as close as the Trojans allowed the opposition to get.
- Felecity Havens and Daria Simmons led the Trojans offense with 21 points.
- Havens grabbed 17 rebounds as well to finish with a double-double.
- Kiara Jones was the second Trojan with a double-double performance with 11 points and 11 boards.
- Ni'Ya Styles (17) and China Marshall (13) also chipped in double-figure nights, with Styles adding seven assists in the contest.
- Rachel Fehl finished with a near double-double as the junior contributed six points and nine assists.
- The last time Mount Olive won in triple figures was Feb 26, 2011, vs. St. Andrews (107-53).
Mount Olive will remain on the road as the Trojans will travel to Murfreesboro, N.C. to take on the Hawks of Chowan University Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.