Misenheimer, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a road victory over Pfeiffer University, 72-59, on Tuesday evening in Misenheimer, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 72, Pfeiffer 59
Records: Mount Olive (3-2, 2-0 CC), Pfeiffer (2-1, 1-1 CC)
Location: Misenheimer, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took the early lead as Ni'Ya Styles made a layup on the opening possession. The Trojans then went on to take a 4-0 lead with three minutes expired in the first quarter.
- Styles sparked another run for Mount Olive with 5:30 left in the first. Her jumper started an 8-0 run to give UMO its first double-digit lead of the game at 14-4.
- Pfeiffer trailed for most of the game until Dajea Scott's layup with 2:55 left in the first half tied the game up at 26.
- Mount Olive, however, did not allow the Falcons a chance to take the lead. The Trojans regained the lead and expanded it to eight on three made free-throws by Daria Simmons as the half expired.
- The Trojans maintained the lead throughout the third quarter, never letting the Falcon deficit get under seven. UMO expanded their cushion to 15, 54-39, with two minutes left off a layup from Kiara Jones.
- The Mount Olive lead remained at 15 for most of the final quarter and was at its largest at the 6:39 mark as the Trojans led 62-43.
- Pfeiffer had a small spark in the final three minutes of the game as the Falcons went on a six-point run to draw the deficit to 68-55 with 1:27 to go in the fourth quarter.
- UMO held off the Pfeiffer attack as the Trojans took the 72-59 win.
- Ni'Ya Styles led the Trojans offense with 25 points, one behind her career high.
- Kiara Jones added a double-double performance with 12 points and 13 boards.
- Daria Simmons (17) and Felecity Havens (12) also chipped in double-figure nights, with Havens one rebound away from a double-double.
Mount Olive will remain on the road as the Trojans will travel to Banner Elk, N.C. to take on the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College Saturday at 2 p.m.