Franklin Springs, Ga. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a road victory over Emmanuel College, 64-57, on Tuesday evening to open Conference Carolinas play.
Score: Mount Olive 64, Emmanuel 57
Records: Mount Olive (2-2, 1-0 CC), Emmanuel (Ga.) (1-3, 0-1 CC)
Location: Williamson Basketball Arena, Franklin Springs, Ga.
How It Happened
- A back-and-forth first ten minutes saw just two ties, but seven lead changes.
- The Trojans took a 14-12 lead after a three by junior Felecity Havens, but the Lions quickly responded with a 7-0 run to end the quarter to take a 19-14 lead.
- A free-throw by senior Kiara Jones snapped a 4:30 scoreless streak for UMO and cut the Emmanuel lead to 19-15.
- Freshman Kelly Funderburk drained a triple that sparked a 10-4 run for the Trojans to end the quarter as UMO held a 32-30 advantage at the break.
- Emmanuel stormed back to take a 38-36 lead just shy of the midway point of the third period.
- Answering right back, Jones and junior Ni'Ya Styles hit buckets to put UMO ahead 40-38, a lead the Trojans never relinquished.
- Mount Olive kept pushing in the final ten minutes, increasing its lead to 10 on a jumper by senior Daria Simmons.
- With a career-high 24 points, Simmons led all-scorers.
- Kiara Jones recorded nine points and a team-high 13 boards.
- Junior Tommarah Harris added 10 points for the Trojans.
- Emmanuel's Elise Coberly was the Lions' top-scorer with 20 points.
- UMO outrebounded Emmanuel, 43-37, and forced 16 Lions' turnovers.
Mount Olive gets a full week off before its next competition as UMO takes on Pfeiffer University in Misenheimer, North Carolina at 5:30 p.m. on November 29th.