Richmond, Va. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team dropped a road contest to No. 12 Virginia Union University, 97-72, on Wednesday evening in Richmond, Virginia.
Score: Virginia Union 97, Mount Olive 72
Records: Virginia Union (2-0), Mount Olive (1-2)
Location: Barco-Stevens Hall, Richmond, Virginia
How It Happened
- Through the first two minutes, UMO controlled the early momentum as the Trojans held a 6-2 lead on a pair of three-pointers by junior Ni'Ya Styles.
- VUU responded with a 13-6 run to take a 15-12 lead with five minutes left in the quarter.
- The offense for the Panthers erupted in the final minutes of the first period as VUU took a 33-21 lead into the second quarter.
- A triple from freshman Kelly Funderburk helped ignite a 7-0 run for the Trojans that cut the VUU lead to just 33-28.
- The UMO run was answered by the Panthers with a 13-2 streak to push VUU ahead 46-30.
- The Trojans looked to narrow the deficit heading into the halftime locker room, but it was another VUU run that gave the Panthers' their largest lead of 18 at the half with a 55-37 advantage.
- VUU maintained a double-digit lead for the entirety of the third quarter, allowing UMO to get no closer than 12.
- The Panthers kept their foot on the accelerator, increasing their lead to its largest point of the contest at 97-70 with 58 seconds left in the game.
- Leading the Trojans was junior Felecity Havens with 19 points.
- Junior Rachel Fehl dished out a career-high and team season-high 10 assists.
- Styles chipped in 18 points with four triples.
- The Panthers' Jayda Luckie and Alexis Johnson led all scorers with 20 points each.
Mount Olive will get nearly a week off before its next competition as UMO opens Conference Carolinas play on November 22 on the road at Emmanuel College at 5:30 p.m.