Salisbury, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a hard-fought victory over Queens University, 68-60, on Saturday afternoon in the SAC/CC Challenge in Salisbury, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 68, Queens 60
Records: Mount Olive (1-1), Queens (0-2)
Location: Abernethy Center, Salisbury, N.C.
How It Happened
- In an even first ten minutes, UMO and Queens could not break free from one another.
- After ten minutes of back-and-forth action, the Trojans and Royals continued to exchange baskets in route to a 33-33 halftime tie.
- Senior Kiara Jones' six points in the quarter helped UMO keep pace with Queens.
- Four-straight points by junior Tommarah Harris put UMO up 45-38 before fellow junior Felecity Havens knocked down a midrange jumper to increase the Trojans' lead to nine.
- Mount Olive continued to push forward towards the end of the third period as a pair of three-pointers in the final two minutes inflated UMO's advantage to 13.
- Unlike the Trojans' season-opener, UMO kept its foot on the accelerator and pulled out to a commanding 68-54 lead with under three minutes to play.
- Havens and junior Ni'Ya Styles led the Trojans with 15 points each with Havens recording a double-double with 11 boards.
- Also in double-figures, were senior Kiara Jones with 11 points and freshman Hope Toliver with 10.
- UMO outrebounded Queens, 43-35, including a 16-9 advantage on the offensive glass.
- The Royals' McKell Oliverio led all scorers with 21 points.
Mount Olive will next travel to Virginia State University on Wednesday for a non-conference showdown at 6 p.m. in Richmond, Virginia.