Salisbury, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team lost a heartbreaker to Catawba College, 74-70, on Friday night in the SAC/CC Challenge in Salisbury, N.C.
Score: Catawba 74, Mount Olive 70
Records: Mount Olive (0-1), Catawba (1-0)
Location: Salisbury, N.C.
How It Happened
- In a back-and-forth battle, Catawba broke free to take a 20-13 lead at the end of the first ten minutes.
- Junior Felecity Havens led the Trojans with five points in the opening period.
- Catawba ran out on a 5-0 run to open the second quarter, pushing the Indians' lead to 25-13.
- The Trojans roared back with a 12-0 run to close the half and grab a 36-33 lead at the break.
- The run was spurred by a bucket and free-throw from both Daria Simmons and Rachel Fehl.
- With the third period winding down, UMO increased its lead to nine on a layup by senior Kiara Jones with just six ticks left in the quarter.
- UMO continued to push forward, increasing the Trojans' lead to 12 at the final media timeout.
- Catawba cut away at Mount Olive's advantage little-by-little, as UMO's lead withered to just two at 68-66.
- Havens added a much-needed basket for the Trojans to push UMO's lead back to four at 70-66 with 1:39 left in the contest.
- In the final stages, Mount Olive could not stop the Indians as Catawba ended the game on an 8-0 run to secure the 74-70 victory.
- In total, Catawba finished the contest on a 19-2 run over the last 4:46 of the game.
- Havens led the Trojans with 16 points, adding seven boards and a pair of assists.
- Opening the season with a double-double, senior Kiara Jones tallied 10 points and 10 boards.
- Leading UMO with five assists was Fehl.
- Catawba out-rebounded Mount Olive, 54-42, grabbing 22 offensive boards.
- The Indians' Terri Rogers led all scorers with 29 points and 15 rebounds.
Mount Olive continues play in the SAC/CC Challenge on Saturday when the Trojans face Queens University at 2 p.m. in Salisbury, N.C.