TIGERVILLE, S.C. - University of Mount Olive men's soccer team fell 3-2 to the Crusaders of North Greenville University in Conference Carolinas men's soccer action Saturday night in Tigerville, S.C.
Score: North Greenville 3, Mount Olive 2
Records: Mount Olive (4-6-1, 2-4-0); North Greenville (5-7-1, 2-5-1)
Location: Tigerville, S.C. (Pepsi Stadium)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive came out hot taking two shots in the first five minutes of play.
- In the 11th minute, a foul outside of the left side of the box gave the Trojans a set piece opportunity.
- James Lang set up behind the ball and delivered his service around the NGU two-person wall. MacLayne Gairrett was set up inside the box and redirected the ball over the outstretched Crusaders keeper and into the back of the net for the first score of the game; 10:14 into the opening half.
- The Trojans continued to push the offensive pressure, as in the 26th minute Gairrett was again in the right place at the right time. Following a saved header by Eric Healy, the UMO defender found the ball in front of him after an NGU defender cleared the ball right into his feet and Gairrett blasted the ball into the back of the net.
- North Greenville wasted no time stopping Mount Olive's momentum 1:26 later getting their first goal of the contest and drawing the deficit to 2-1.
- UMO went into the half up by one and outshot the Crusaders 12-to-four.
- A tale of two halves for the Trojans occurred as they were outshot 11-to-two in the second half.
- North Greenville tied the game in the 68th minute and got the game-winner in the 85th in route to getting the 3-2 win.
- MacLayne Gairrett led the Trojans offense as he scored both goals.
- Austin Porter (4-6-1, 2-4-0) grabbed four saves in goal.
Mount Olive returns to action on Wednesday, October 17, as they take to the road to face Belmont Abbey in a rescheduled game from Sept. 19. The Trojans and Crusaders take to the field with a first kick time of 4 p.m.