MURFREESBORO, N.C. - University of Mount Olive men's soccer team downed the Hawks of Chowan University 2-1 in thrilling fashion on the road in a Conference Carolinas match-up Wednesday afternoon in Murfreesboro, N.C. Alfie Pope snuck home the game-winner in the last minute of the first overtime period to boost the Trojans to victory.
Score: Mount Olive 2, Chowan 1
Records: Mount Olive (4-3-1, 2-1-0 CC); Chowan (4-1-1, 2-1-0)
Location: Murfreesboro, N.C. (Hawks Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took advantage early in the first half on a timely pass from Alfie Pope in the 15th minute. Trevor Berk came sliding across the pitch and rocketed a shot on goal and the Chowan keeper had no shot at stop Berk from scoring.
- The Trojans' defense held strong holding the Hawks off the scoreboard in the opening half despite Chowan outshooting UMO 9-to-3.
- Chowan continued to push for an equalizer in the second half and for the first 21 minutes, the Hawks were the only team to record a shot.
- In the 68th minute, the Hawks attack finally came to punish the UMO defense as Erik Ruiz scored and tied the game at one all.
- Mount Olive was able to get a shot off at the 69:15 mark, but it sailed just left.
- The Trojans only managed one more shot during the half, this one on goal, but it was saved and the game remained deadlocked.
- UMO staved off two back-to-back shots on goal in the 88th minute and forced the game into extra time.
- In overtime, Mount Olive and Chowan exchanged shots for the first eight minutes with neither team finding the golden goal.
- With just over a minute remaining, Chowan's keeper attempted to settle a ball in preparation to clear it upfield.
- Alfie Pope saw his opportunity and went on the attack. The forward charged towards the keeper and challenged the attempted clearance and was able to win the ball. He then flicked it over the back of the keeper and watch it bounce into the corner of the net for the game-winner.
- Alfie Pope and Trevor Berk led the Trojans in shots with two and in goals with one each.
- Austin Porter (4-3-1, 2-1-0) recorded five saves in goal for Mount Olive.
Mount Olive returns to action on October 6, when the Trojans face King University at Amon Field in a Conference Carolinas battle. First kick is set for 4 p.m.