Greensboro, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team fell 2-1 in double overtime to Mars Hill University in a nonconference neutral site match at Bryan Park in Greensboro, N.C. MacLayne Gairrett scored the Trojans lone goal in the second minute of play.
Score: Mars Hill 2, Mount Olive 1 (2OT - 102:20 minutes)
Records: Mount Olive (2-1-1); Mars Hill (3-1-0)
Location: Greensboro, N.C. (Bryan Park)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive quickly got on the scoreboard in the second minute of play as MacLayne Gairrett's header connected with the back of the net following Baptiste Tajan's corner kick.
- Mars Hill found the equalizing goal in the 18th minute to tie the score a one apiece.
- Neither team could find a goal in the remainder of the half despite Mount Olive holding a 9-5 shot advantage.
- The second half was scoreless as neither team gave up a goal. Mars Hill controlled the shot advantage 6-1 in the second period.
- A full 10 minutes were played with neither team connecting with the net forcing the second overtime.
- In the 103rd minute, Mars Hill connected with the game-winning golden goal.
- The Trojans took 13 total shots with six coming on frame.
- Junior defender MacLayne Gairrett scored his second collegiate goal and first of the season.
Mount Olive returns to action on September 15, as the Trojans return to Amon Field in their Conference Carolinas opener against the Erskine Flying Fleet. Match time is set for 3 p.m. following the women's soccer match at 12 p.m.