Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team defeated the Cobras of Coker College 2-0 in the season opener at Amon Field in non-conference at Amon Field Thursday night. Alfie Pope and Tommy Hope registered the two Trojan goals in the shutout over Coker.
Score: Mount Olive 2, Coker 0
Records: Mount Olive (1-0); Coker (0-1)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Amon Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive fought hard to find the opening score as Alfie Pope was taken down inside the box in the 28th minute allowing the Trojans a penalty kick opportunity. Pope converted on the attempt as his shot trickled into the center of the net off a diving Coker keeper for the opening score.
- Following another hard challenge by Coker 33:44 minutes into the game allowed another set piece for UMO. Eric Healy took the free kick and found the foot of Nathan Pike who then found an open Tommy Hope in the middle of the net for the second score of the night.
- UMO did register one more shot on goal in the opening half on a Drew Brunton header but a save thwarted another score before the halftime horn.
- The Trojans outshot the Cobras in the second half 5-to-3 as Mount Olive held off Coker from making a comeback in the final 45 minutes.
- Alfie Pope and Tommy Hope were the offensive leaders for Mount Olive each scoring a goal
- Austin Porter picked up his first win in goal making three saves in three shots on goal.
Mount Olive returns to action on September 2, when the Trojans host Newberry College at Amon Field. First kick is set for 5 p.m. in a regional non-conference match-up.