BELMONT, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team defeated Belmont Abbey College 4-3 Tuesday afternoon to advance to the semifinals of the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Tournament.
Score: Mount Olive 4, Belmont Abbey 3
Records: Mount Olive (9-6-2); Belmont Abbey (9-6-1)
Location: Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive fell behind early as Belmont Abbey scored in the 12th minute to take the game's first lead.
- UMO was fouled in the box at the 15:24 mark and a penalty kick was awarded. Sebastian Loibl made good on the attempt and tied the game at one as his shot hit the back left side of the net.
- Trevor Knight broke the tie in the 18th minute as he scored off a pass from Tyler Hall, shooting right to left.
- The Trojans added another goal in the half as Knight connected once again in the 31st minute to move the Mount Olive lead to 3-1.
- The Crusaders were not done yet in the opening half as BAC responded with one final goal before halftime putting the score at 3-2 heading into the break.
- UMO went ahead 4-2 when Baptiste Tajan connected on a pass from Sam Murphy in the 74th minute to increase the Trojans lead.
- Belmont Abbey was able to score a late goal in the final eight minutes but Mount Olive held off the comeback to take the win and advance to the semifinals of the Conference Carolinas Tournament.
- Trevor Knight scored two of Mount Olive's goals in the contest and finished the match with three shots.
- Sebastian Loibl and Baptiste Tajan each added a goal off of eight and three shots respectively.
- Preston Snyder tallied six saves playing all 90 minutes in goal.
Mount Olive advances to the Conference Carolinas Semifinals to face No. 2 seed Lees-McRae in Gaffney, S.C. on Friday, November 3 at 7 p.m.