Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive defeated Chowan University 3-0 Monday night in non-conference men's soccer.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Chowan 0
Records: Mount Olive (3-8-1); Chowan (6-5-1)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Amon Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started the match on the right foot as the Trojans scored early in the 18th minute. A Chowan foul gave UMO a free kick and Dakotah Casale took the set piece. Casale placed a cross into the waiting feet of Lewis Xiberras who placed the game's first goal into the far post.
- Casale wasted no time adding a goal to his performance as he picked up the second score of the game in the 19th minute off a pass from Trevor Knight.
- A series of hard challenges by Chowan led to three red cards being issued and the Hawks had to play with eight for the remainder of the match.
- Chowan had an opportunity late in the second period as a Trojan foul in the box gave way to a Hawks penalty kick in the 67th minute. Nick Bernsdorf took the shot from Mike Dowling but denied Chowan a goal coming up with a finger tip save. The shot then bounced back to Dowling who took a rocket shot back at Bernsdorf, but the Trojan keeper was unphased as he recorded a second save.
- Travis Jones added the final blow in the match win with his goal in the 88th minute.
- Trevor Knight and Lewis Xiberras led the Trojans with four shots apiece.
- Knight, Andrew Yarnell, and Casale all added an assist in the match.
- Nick Bernsdorf saw five shots on goal and remained perfect in between the posts.
Mount Olive will hit the road and head back into Conference Carolinas play as the Trojans will take on Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, N.C. Saturday, October 22 at 3 p.m.