Mount Olive, N.C. – The 14th-ranked University of Mount Olive men's lacrosse team defeated Chowan University, 22-6, in Conference Carolinas action on Wednesday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 22, Chowan 6
Records: Mount Olive (7-2, 2-1 CC), Chowan (1-8, 1-2)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr, Track and Field/Lacrosse Complex, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive wasted no time opening the game with a score as Austin Robinson picked up the opening face-off and found Jacob Ball for the game's first goal with 14:51 remaining.
- Brett Kingston led the charge for the remainder of the quarter scoring a trio of goals in a four-minute period.
- Chowan did answer with a goal with 2:33 left but the Trojans held a 7-1 lead.
- The second quarter was all UMO as the Trojans pushed across six goals, three coming from Brody Sullivan, to expand their lead to 12 heading into halftime.
- The Hawks pounced first in the third as Nick Lavoy found the back of the net with 12:32 on the clock.
- Kingston continued his offensive picking up his fifth and sixth goals of the game to complete a 3-0 Mount Olive run as the Trojans lead grew to 16-2 with 6:25 left in the quarter.
- Chowan's Lavoy added another CU goal with under five minutes in the third to draw within 16-3, but UMO capitalized on a man-down situation and took the last goal of the quarter.
- The final quarter started with some emotions attached to it as senior Tim Dobson made his collegiate debut for the green and white, as the Melbourne, Australia native took over in between the pipes.
- Dobson was tested early as following a UMO penalty with 13:28 to play, the Trojans were in a man-down situation.
- The Hawks' Lavoy attempted to find his third goal ripping a shot at Dobson with 13:12 on the clock, but the senior held steady and denied the goal putting Mount Olive on the clear and back into attacking formation.
- Jake Cohill scored his first goal as a Trojan after Thatcher Clark found the freshman with 11:30 left in the game.
- Chowan added three goals in the quarter, but Mount Olive pushed across four more goals and walked away with the 22-6 win.
- Will Urban (7-2) earned the win in goal, making nine saves, allowing just two goals.
- Drew Yost and Dobson also spent time in goal each registering two saves.
- Kingston led the team with six goals and added three groundballs.
- Luke Dalman and Brody Sullivan each added four goals apiece.
- Eddie Hendrickson (1), Austin Peper (1), Jacob Ball (3), Jake Cohill (1), Nick Petersen (1), and Nick Correra (1) all had at least one goal in the game.
Mount Olive returns to action on April 1 with a match against Emmanuel College at 2 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga.