BELMONT, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell in overtime, 95-92, to the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College in a midweek Conference Carolinas contest at the Wheeler Center in Belmont, N.C. Sophomore Alan Treakle led the Trojans with a new career-high 27 points as four others joined in with double-digit stat lines of their own.
Score: Belmont Abbey 95, Mount Olive 92 OT
Records: Mount Olive (8-13, 7-5), Belmont Abbey (16-5, 9-2)
Location: Wheeler Center | Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started the game off slow as they quickly found themselves down ten points as Belmont Abbey led 15-5 at the 14:38 mark.
- The Crusaders held on to their double-digit lead through most of the first half until a Trojan seven-point run consisting of four Jamaal Matin free throws and a Cameron Robinson three-pointer cut the BAC lead to four, 26-22, with 6:37 in the half.
- Three consecutive threes by Abbey put the Crusaders back up by 11 points, 35-24, with just over five minutes to play.
- Mount Olive responded with a 13-point run to take a two-point lead 37-35 with 49 seconds on the clock but Belmont Abbey knocked back a layup to knot the score at 37 all as the teams entered halftime.
- UMO come out of the break scoring the first five points of the half as Darius Spragley connected on a layup and jumper and Robinson added a free throw to give the Trojans a 42-37 lead.
- Belmont Abbey came back to tie the score at 44 all before Mount Olive opened up an 11 point lead, 60-49, following a 16-5 run by the Trojans.
- A layup by Tanner Poole put UMO up 16 points, 67-51, with 9:51 to go in regulation but the Crusaders began to chip away at the Trojan lead.
- Over the next six minutes, BAC cut the UMO lead to just four points, 69-65, following a 14-2 run by the Crusaders.
- The Trojans held a seven-point, 75-68, lead with just under two minutes to play but the Crusaders came back to force overtime following a buzzer-beating three-pointer by Daquan Abroms that put the score at 79 all.
- Alan Treakle hit the opening basket of overtime connecting on a three-pointer to give uMO an 82-79 lead.
- The Crusaders came back to take a four-point lead, 86-82, following a 7-0 run by BAC.
- Mount Olive knotted the score twice at 86 and 92 before the Crusaders took a two-point lead on a layup by Abrom's and closed out the game with a free throw to win 95-92.
- Alan Treakle set a new career-high with 27 points to lead the Trojans.
- Four other Trojans joined Treakle win double-digits in Cameron Robinson (15), Jamaal Matin (15), Darius Spragley (12), and Michael Brown (12).
Mount Olive returns to the friendly confines of Kornegay Arena for Church Night on Saturday, February 2, as UMO hosts Erskine College. The Trojans and Flying Fleet will square off around 6 p.m. following the conclusion of the women's game.